Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

40 goes mad in Spain

Rodger

Hi All,
Well first off there are no pictures yet as the computer at the house isn´t up and running yet... but give us time. Thought we´d put a short update of the trip down and post the full version with pics when we can.
Travelled down the UK in torrential rain and winds in our 'packed to the gunnels' 40. At Plymouth the load master decided that he would put the 2 most iconic vehicles together so our 40 was with a Ferrarri something or other which didn´t even come up to the top of our wheels.
Once in Spain we climbed out of Santander and realised that the new motorways are built for trucks so the climbs are not as steep as the old roads but they are long - which didn´t help the temperature guage. After putting some Morgan drivers on the right road we headed for the old roads - even if there are numerous (we lost count) of 1000+ passes to cross. (There are loads of climbs of this type on the motorways but somehow they are just a little easier in an old truck on the old empty 2 lane roads).
Aiming for Soria via Burgos, we were about 50 miles short when the front left tube exploded - ´bang´it went. When we fitted the tyres in 2003, the rims were already old and the fitter suggested tubes as we´d be lowering the pressure for off-roading, however out here in the heat, the friction build up by taking the numerous bends up and down the mountains caused the tube to blow. On went the spare, and luckly we found a tyre shop very soon and took the other tube out of the front. That´s the only problem we had... the old 40 did 1250 miles, returned 31 mpg, climbed more passes than Ian´s been up and down his hill. Guess we need to invest in a 3 core rad as the original 40 one doesn´t like the heat generated by 4 litres of 60 series engine.
Our route, cos we wanted to see various bits of the country, was Santander- Reinosa lakes- Burgos- Sala las Infantes (tyre shop)- Soria- Sacedon via lakes- Cuenca- La Roda- Cuevas- Almanzora- Tabernas (Spagetti Westerns)- Ugijar.

More when we have pics...

Looking forward to the full pictorial review Rodger - good to hear you made it down to the new pad OK :cool:

:clap: All the way to Spain! A reflection of the care you put into your 40 I think

Glad to hear the trip went well and I think the back roads was the best way to go

Looking forward to some pics of the good life :thumbup:

Thanks for the kind thoughts, guys. It appears to be a little problematic uploading pics from here so Im sending a disk to Jonnie and he says he´ll upload it for me. Tooooo mucsh cheap wine and cerveza keeps getting in the way when I´m tryping!

Seriously though, Took out the rad and cleaned years of Lincomb earth from it, maybe that´ll help the old lady run cooler... we´ll see.

Hasta la vista

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Rodger said:
maybe that´ll help the old lady run cooler
Less about the missus Rog - hows the 40 settling in out there now??? :lol:

Nice one Roger :thumbup: Glad to hear you've got there safe and sound. Hope you have fun in your new play ground. I'll keep you in wind when I'm passing through.

All the best.

Back