Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
After this little indecent the insurance company sent me one of these:
cheque.jpg

and I bought a bag of these from Greg and Ian:
IMG_2257.jpg

Cracking fellas, they threw in a free bumper. (albeit the wrong colour :snooty: )

Sparrows on Saturday morning:
IMG_2254.jpg

Bumper off (only took about 5 minutes as I had erm, "removed" most of the clips while coupling with the van.
IMG_2255.jpg

Bottom brace one:
IMG_2260.jpg

IMG_2259.jpg

Bumper trial fitted (was waiting for hired help to arrive to help fit it properly.
IMG_2265.jpg

IMAG0212.jpg

Once I had removed the bumper, I noticed that one of the mounts for the headlight was cracked from the accident. The cracked mount causes the light to drop slightly and will probably not pass MOT as the beam is dropping quite short. I need to speak to insurance company and see if they will replace it (Their own assessor missed it in the inspection)
So, light was out in an attempt to glue it together. Failed.

The finished product:
IMAG0223.jpg

I am very happy with it. No real hicups in putting it on. Just all screwed together. Biggest ball ache was getting it lined up. I think we killed about an hour something getting that right.

The winch is a KingOne (or is that a GoodWinch? :whistle: ) 9500 with a remote control. I left the contactor on the winch which makes the control socket a bit tough to get to so remote was the simplest option.

Still to do -
- Sort out numberplate - I'll be a trying a Steve option and putting the number plate on a hinge so it flips down over the fairlead.
- Sort out the gap between the chassis and the bumper. I was thinking of trying some boot rubber stuff or a pool noodle cut to size. Should make it a bit cleaner.
- Get some fog lights sorted. The blank inserts look bleak. I want some shiny stuff in there. The ID of the hole is 100mm with 110mm between mounting points. Seems a common size for spots. ARB sell a kit at about £300. Next please.
- ARB left 4 holes on top of the bumper for spots. It would be rude not to fill them with something :whistle:

Now, I need to go get stuck... :dance:

Many thanks to Tony and Chris Mann for their help (even in the rain...)

Does this mean that you will never ever ever be stuck again, anywhere Crispin :whistle:

Ever? :think:

Chris

Cool. Are you going to retro-fit the headlamp washers?

Shouldn't be too difficult I think. And if you do a body lift is it going to still fit ok ...

You can see where I'm going with this!

Also - if you take off the SS hoop, are there covers that will go in there?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=55.906408,-3.241935

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Gav, to you too BTW.

Gary, you'll have a hell of a gap to fill. My bumper is almost as high as it will go. You'll have to extended the slots. Not sure is something else will get in the way it you trying to get it 40mm higher.

Washer jet is broken and at £260 for a replacement, no... I might try ones from a 90.

Sent from TapaTalk

If I remove the hoop I would need other buffers as they have cutouts in them.

Sent from TapaTalk

I do like those Sahara Bars :mrgreen: Very cool :cool: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Did you see the LED spots that 'Bor S' fitted into his Sahara Bar :mrgreen: Also very cool :cool: :mrgreen:

Bor S said:
Bought a set Led's for in my Saharabar. Found the ARB light set a bit expensive (€ 400,-)
http://www.immers.info/Webwinkel-Product-4360883/12-24v-LED-Verstraler-24watt-(1600lumen).html
SAM_0206.JPG

Regarding your headlight :) If it's the plastic thats split, use a soldering iron to melt/fuse it back together. Be brave & harsh, dig the iron in get it all hot & melted then allow to cool :D Not prety but is a good fix :thumbup:

I'll sort some piccys of the last one I did for myself later on :D

Here's the headlight photos all done with just a soldering Iron :thumbup:

Broken from accident damage
P5130007.jpg

P5130008.jpg

Fixed with soldering iron
P5130006_renamed_6178.jpg

P5130005_renamed_938.jpg

Then you'll need one of these to fit it back in for you :) Saves your hands getting dirty :lol: ;)
P5110012.jpg

Very nice,
How much of a gap is there between the body, I presume where the bumper wraps around the wings, ?

What was the buying cost of the bumper?

G.

The front bumper looks great!

Where is the most "economical" place in the UK to source an ARB bumper? Ive got a 100-series and need to upgrade front and rear bumpers in prep for an overland trip in March 2012.

Thanks
Gary

Gaz88 said:
The front bumper looks great!

Where is the most "economical" place in the UK to source an ARB bumper? Ive got a 100-series and need to upgrade front and rear bumpers in prep for an overland trip in March 2012.

Thanks
Gary

Gary

I have a 100 that is also in need of an ARB front bumper (and maybe a rear depending on cash flow)...we might get a small discount for 2 if you like. I would be looking at the commercial one with the protection for the drivers lights although the wife wants me to get the sahara bar as it looks better she says.

warrenpfo said:
I would be looking at the commercial one with the protection for the drivers lights although the wife wants me to get the sahara bar as it looks better she says.

It's been discussed a number of times in other threads but technically, "Bull bars" are not legal in the EU and cannot be fitted to vehicle after a certain date. Mine is a winch bumper and without said winch, would also be illegal.
Ask 4 different people and get 6 different answers...

Crispin

As you have said so long as you fit a winch to the bar then its ok as it seen to serve a purpose and is a "tool" or if you are intending to export the car....but need paperwork to back this up.

Once again that is the research i have done.

looks great with the sahara bar :clap: . Has fitting an aftermarket bumper and winch affected your insurance premium? this is the one mod i am seriously considering, my mate is a bespoke 4x4 accesory manufacturer, and makes some good bumpers(http://www.leylandfabdesign.co.uk/index.html ) (mods, please remove link if it's a problem)

Aside from the price the main thing putting me off is having hassle of insurers in the future when it comes to quotes on a modified vehicle. I can see this being less of a problem if i fit an arb etc bumper compared to a locally fabricated one.

I had spoken to them beforehand and they said it is fine providing there is a winch. I spoke to the underwriters at work and they agreed that it should not be a problem and if it is noted on the policy then everything is in order.

There was, and will not be in the future (as I've been told) any increase in premium for the mods I have. Chris Knott / Hiway Insurance have a "4x4 policy" in which they happy with everything I have done. Premium increase each year has been, IIRC, £30-40 for year which is "normal".

Waiting for the pain from the accident though :pray:

Hi Crispin,

In addition to me looking for front and rear bumpers for my LC-100, I was wondering if you had come across a supplier in the UK that sells an auxillary / secondary fuel tank that allows me to keep my 1st spare in place under the vehicle?

Thanks
Gary

Back