Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Centre diff lock not working

LCamazon99

Country Flag
wales
Hi guys I have a 1999 landcruiser 100 series with the 4.2td
When I click the CRD button I can hear the relay in the passenger side foot well clicking and I can hear the actuator running but no lights at all ? And it doesn’t actually engage
So I’ve done a lot of reading but still not any closer to sorting the problem so far I have…

crossed the wiring harness for the switch on the drivers side on the transfer case with a paperclip and I got centre diff lock orange light and green 4wd light , so bulbs are working

I then swapped out another switch from the back of the transfer case and screwed it in and plugged it in , made no difference either , would the 2 switches be faulty , I didn’t try the third one as I was fed up.
any help would be appreciated cheers Travis

Have you pulled the actuator to see what it does when you push the dash switch?
I've not had an issue (touch wood with my CDL) but have been through issues with my rear and went through a methodical process of elimination, sound like you're doing the same.
Sounds like the dash switch is OK, relay is OK, power to actuator.
The box switch should be a straight forward bench test of the switch to rule that out.
Do you have a FSM?

Hi thank you for your reply!
I’ve not pulled the actuator off yet as I thought with it making a noise it was working but maybe not fully engaging? Yeah I’ve heard they should be tested with a 9v battery ? So I’ve not tried it on the bench as I don’t have a 9v battery , sorry I’m not sure what a FSM is ? Kind regards Travis

I have a haynes manual not a factory service manual, where can I get one ?

Haynes for the 100 is useless in most cases, and directly misguiding in some. I have used Haynes for many cars up through the years and it's been good help, but the LC100 version must be the worst they ever made.
The FSM can be bought, or you could find an online version LC100 Workshop Manual - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

When you can hear the CDL actuator running, it is likely that the motor runs and puts tension on the activation spring but that the locking mechanism is stuck from lack of use. (My 80's owner's manual said to activate it weekly.)
If you find it difficult to get to the actuator for inspection, you can lower the gearbox a bit to give about twice the distance above it. You can support the gearbox on a jack with a slab of wood against the oil pan and undo the crossmember holding the box. (Engine/gearbox assembly is supported by only 3 mounts, two under engine and the gearbox crossmember.) Although, after doing the job once, and getting familiar with the location of all the parts, it is fairly easy to take out the actuator with everything in place.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thank you for the link to the FSM , I’ll whip the actuator off and have a look , and check the locking mechanism , I’ll post back on here once I have given it a go

Back