Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Brenda The Devastator (Cont.)

Can't understand what has happened to that piston. Looks like seriously high mileage or seriously low on oil at some time. Might be worth getting a used engine. I know 80 breaker might have one and he might have one you can hear running.

Can't understand what has happened to that piston. Looks like seriously high mileage or seriously low on oil at some time. Might be worth getting a used engine. I know 80 breaker might have one and he might have one you can hear running.
A used engine is indeed my game plan now. I'm not a diesel guy so diagnosing exactly what's happened ain't my thing, I can only refer to experts opinions. At the end of the day a new engine is required so off I go to hunt. Will give 80 breaker a call, I'm considering a 100 series 1hd-fte too, so may acquire a car for breaking myself

You can make a 100 series engine work with what is left of your engine. Your pump and timing covers along with some other bits can be converted over to a 100 series hdfte engine. Makes an awesome engine. Ask Garry at 80 breakers. He's done several now.

You can make a 100 series engine work with what is left of your engine. Your pump and timing covers along with some other bits can be converted over to a 100 series hdfte engine. Makes an awesome engine. Ask Garry at 80 breakers. He's done several now.
I've shot Garry a message, just got to find out costs really :tearsofjoy: I've got no idea what I should be paying for one of these engines

They aren't pocket money unfortunately. Garry may be a little slow getting back to you at the moment. He has family commitments. These engines do sound great when done and much smoother than the existing one.

They aren't pocket money unfortunately. Garry may be a little slow getting back to you at the moment. He has family commitments. These engines do sound great when done and much smoother than the existing one.
Ay, some of them on eBay are listed for north of 5k! That's where things get hard to swallow :tearsofjoy:

Getting more and more tempted with the FTE with the manual pump conversion... probably get the pump and injectors rebuilt while they're out too for good measure

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Keep at it, you're doing a great job :)
While we await locating a new engine I'll be busy cleaning things up, and sorting out other bits and pieces. Really need to inventory all the stuff Hopeless gave me with this. Can probably sell off some of the spares and such to help fund the engine too

So, it's been a while. Life's been hectic. And by life I mean work. The week before I picked up Brenda I took over a new team in addition to my existing one and have been a lil bit busy with all that chaos.

But I have not forgotten. I've been busy in the background formulating plans, and figuring out where I go from here. Thank you to those who've helped me price up replacement engines and such, it's massively appreciated. I've come to the conclusion that Brenda is destined for something German. I'm not 100% decided on which, but either an OM606 or an OM648. Diesel Pump UK is not far from me (actually on my commute to the office should I actually go :tearsofjoy:) and they already produce a kit for mating an OM606 and the H151F gearbox I've got. I've emailed them today asking if they'll do an OM648 one for me, as they already do other adapter kits for the OM648 to other transmissions. So fingers crossed ;)

Now, why the Merc engines I guess? The OM606 is an indirect injected electric pump (like the 1kz-te in the Prados), but can also have a fully mechanical pump put on them. They shave some weight off the front of the car, in stock guise are about 40ftlb short vs the 1HDFT, but can easily be turned up to suit. They're pretty economical too. And as noted, Diesel Pump UK is not far from me, so if I needed support I have one of the best places in the country nearby. Okay, so why the OM648? Well it's more modern, direct injected, got all that electronic shenanigans going on. Fortunately Baldur does a standalone ECU called a DID1 that'll run the engine without the need for any of the Merc ECUs. In stock form these put out 200hp, and 370ftlb of torque. Slightly different power bands and all that but should pack quite the punch. Oh, and being yet more modern still than the OM606 is more economical too, and even better still the OM648s can be picked up for reasonably cheap! I'm pretty sure I'll be able to use the standalone ECU to generate whatever signals I need to run the dash too, which'd be nice.

So that's the engine thoughts, just waiting to hear back about whether I can get this adapter for an OM648 made up :)

Now, onto the chassis.

I knew the driver's side rear of the rear wheel well needed welding. Spotted that when inspecting. So I stripped out the rear of the car. Removed the aluminium extrude drawers (Anyone wanna buy them? :tearsofjoy:) and got to work stripping out the trim. Found some rather greasy oily substance had been spilled back there and soaked the carpet too. All good fun. Removed the sound deadening back here as it's been applied over factory stuff and without cleaning the existing soft furry material off thus the CLD wasn't really going to be having much of an effect, will apply new stuff later on. Then I got down and dirty looking for rust. So, that hole i knew about? Yeah I can fist that. And the other side is fingerable. Missed that when inspecting her. Oh well. And there was a lil bit on the driver's wheel well inside the car... odd as there's nothing weird in the wheel well itself, might've just been some standing water at some point seeping down behind the seam sealer. Front a quick rub down it's not terminal, just a clean up job needed, no welding.

So, looks like I don't need to do body off frame for doing these repairs at least, and it gives me something to do while I wait around for knowing what I'm doing with the engine.

Attachments

• IMG_1481.jpeg
    IMG_1481.jpeg
    541.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1482.jpeg
    IMG_1482.jpeg
    432.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1483.jpeg
    IMG_1483.jpeg
    337 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1484.jpeg
    IMG_1484.jpeg
    394.3 KB · Views: 13
Overnight parts from Sheffield doesn't quite have the same ring to it as I'm used to. But alas. Here we are. An OM648. Arrived in under 24 hours from point of ordering... with free shipping... for less than £600... This will probably be the cheapest thing about this whole vehicle :tearsofjoy:

201hp, 370ftlb from factory... No faffery required. But of course there will be faffery.

Attachments

• IMG_1500.jpeg
    IMG_1500.jpeg
    698.9 KB · Views: 1
Back