Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cigarette Lighter

Andy Harvey said:
Chas.

Can I suggest you have a look at Marine type 12V power sockets.
Hi Andy,
The main reason for having a heavy duty socket is that I have a 12v microwave with three methods of connecting, one lead to plug into the lighter socket, one to croc clip direct to battery (but as all my batteries are under the bonnet I wanted something easily accessible in the back) and a mains lead.
The two 12v leads have a plastic protrusion on the end that plugs into the microwave but it’s bigger on the croc clip lead which leads me to believe that the lighter socket lead restricts the power somehow (it takes ages to heat things from the lighter socket) :cry: So I thought replace the croc clips with a 15a plug.
Chas

Thats why i'm putting the extra battery in the back, the inverter will be about 6 inches away from it with all the sockets nearby.
On the 80, i took flash leads straight from the extra fuse box in the engine bay to some extra sockets fitted next to the gearstick, some for 12v batt and some 12v ign.

Cossack said:
Andy Harvey said:
Chas.

Hi Andy,
The main reason for having a heavy duty socket is that I have a 12v microwave with three methods of connecting, one lead to plug into the lighter socket, one to croc clip direct to battery (but as all my batteries are under the bonnet I wanted something easily accessible in the back) and a mains lead.
The two 12v leads have a plastic protrusion on the end that plugs into the microwave but it’s bigger on the croc clip lead which leads me to believe that the lighter socket lead restricts the power somehow (it takes ages to heat things from the lighter socket) :cry: So I thought replace the croc clips with a 15a plug.
Chas

Chas. Yep you could be right with the cable being insuffient diameter it will heat up at the point of most resistance first which is always likely to be the plug so I think your plan is best then.

Andy Harvey said:
Cossack said:
[quote="Andy Harvey":18pugnac]Chas.

Hi Andy,
Chas

Chas. Yep you could be right with the cable being insuffient diameter it will heat up at the point of most resistance first which is always likely to be the plug so I think your plan is best then.[/quote:18pugnac]
I will be running battery leads from the engine compartment battery to the back to feed the 2000w inverter I will be getting soon and I'll tap off those to connect 12v to the 15a socket
Chas

Slightly off topic here but, I found **THIS PLACE** superb for all you will even need as far a wiring goes
thumb.gif

Used them loads, very good service but a little slow on answering enquiries by email, best to call them. Will even give advice on wire sizes etc.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chas.

Just to inject one word of caution here but by no means raining on your parade - just make sure that the 3 pin socket is labelled up as such otherwise it may cause confusion. How about instead of that, wire some battery cables up to the back like you are suggesting but take off a lead to an Anderson plug and change the plug on the end of the microwave lead. Anderson plugs are pretty much (I hesitate to say always as there are some wired to 24V systems) always low voltage 12V connectors so no chance of plugging in your laptop supply or something else with a 3 pin plug on it and wondering why it doesn't work - not so much for you as you will know what you have done but someone travelling with you in the vehicle. Labelling well should do it but you may want to think about it.

Andy Harvey said:
Chas.

Just to inject one word of caution here but by no means raining on your parade - just make sure that the 3 pin socket is labelled up as such otherwise it may cause confusion. How about instead of that, wire some battery cables up to the back like you are suggesting but take off a lead to an Anderson plug and change the plug on the end of the microwave lead. Anderson plugs are pretty much (I hesitate to say always as there are some wired to 24V systems) always low voltage 12V connectors so no chance of plugging in your laptop supply or something else with a 3 pin plug on it and wondering why it doesn't work - not so much for you as you will know what you have done but someone travelling with you in the vehicle. Labelling well should do it but you may want to think about it.
That's a good idea Andy, Anderson plug it is :cool:
Chas

Back