Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cobra Alarm- Factory alarm installation?

PradoFan

Country Flag
united_states
Hello all, I recently purchased a 1996 Landcruiser Colorado KZJ95. It was imported from Spain and it is a left hand drive model. I purchased it from a friend who imported it to the United States. I am loving it so far!

I started installing a new stereo receiver in the vehicle because I wanted the ability to hook up my iPhone and play music. While I was in there, I figured that I would pair a new key fob by following the instructions pinned on this forum. I though to myself, "Simple enough, I can easily handle that!" Well, to my surprise, its not that easy. First off, that little black box with the green button does not exist behind the factory radio position, nor does it seem that a wiring harness for the module is present. After removing the stick shift trim, I noticed a module tucked at the bottom of center console area in what appears to be a factory like wiring harness plugged into it, with other wires coming out of the module. I even have a red LED light that is installed on the handbrake plastic cover, which is part of this alarm system. As I removed the module, I saw that it was in fact, an alarm module made by Cobra. The model number is 4C0979STB. I do have the key fob that came with the vehicle, but nothing works when I press the buttons. I replaced the key fob battery, but it still doesn't work. Does anyone have any experience with this type of alarm system for these vehicles? I have searched this forum, but nothing has come up regarding this type of alarm. I am looking for an owners manual so I can educate myself on how this system works, and hopefully, to program a new remote, if I can even find one....

I have reached out to Cobra in hopes that they can help me, but I have not heard anything yet.

I have attached some photos for reference.

Also- I noticed a small switch that was installed right next to the driver's side fuse block. Once you remove the plastic cover to the fuse box, the little switch is just on the left side. This cuts off the starter relay when the switch is engaged. When someone tries to start the vehicle, the dashboard lights up as normal, but when you try to start the car, all you get is a clicking sound. I thought that this was really clever, whoever did it. Is that a factory option? Does anyone else have this installed?

Thanks for all of your replies!

Attachments

• Photo - 1.jpeg
    Photo - 1.jpeg
    266.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Photo - 2.jpeg
    Photo - 2.jpeg
    427.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Photo - 3.jpeg
    Photo - 3.jpeg
    295.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Photo - 4.jpeg
    Photo - 4.jpeg
    290.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Photo - 5.jpeg
    Photo - 5.jpeg
    361.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Photo - 6.jpeg
    Photo - 6.jpeg
    354.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Photo - 7.jpeg
    Photo - 7.jpeg
    475.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Photo - 8.jpeg
    Photo - 8.jpeg
    362.8 KB · Views: 23
Dont know anything about these, but there appears to be 2 wires cut - 1 in the first photo, 1 in the fourth. They obviously connected to something, hence being cut.
Worth investigating these ??

Yes, you're correct, there are 2 wires that are cut. I need to trace these back and see where they go to. I wish I had an owner's manual as it would be extremely helpful right now.

I don't know much about these either I'm afraid but I doubt it would have been factory fitted as Toyota's TVSS system was fitted to many Land Cruisers and other Toyota vehicles in this era. My '98 80 series has the TVSS fitted which plugs into a multi pin connector on the main vehicle harness. It is purely an alarm with central door locking facility and not an immobiliser which is completely separate and was factory fitted.

Last edited:
It is purely an alarm with central door locking facility and not an immobiliser which is completely separate and was factory fitted.
Does this mean that these 90 series vehicles either came with a factory fitted alarm OR a factory fitted immobiliser? Or did some vehicles come with both?

I've just had a look at the 1997 Land Cruiser brochure for UK spec vehicles and it says the VX versions of the Colorado (Prado) come with a Thatcham approved alarm/immobiliser but doesn't say what it is. The 80 series (Amazon badged) also came with Thatcham approved alarm, specifically the (new) TVSS3B. I've heard this alarm was actually fitted to UK spec vehicles by Toyota UK before going on sale so was not actually "factory fitted" although provision was made for it in the wiring loom. The immobiliser is completely separate and factory fitted. I guess this muddies the waters a bit but I can't believe Toyota would fit a third party alarm if they had their own, security approved and rated system in the TVSS. I would assume all vehicles for all markets came with an OEM immobiliser irrespective of alarm options.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've just had a look at the 1997 Land Cruiser brochure for UK spec vehicles and it says the VX versions of the Colorado (Prado) come with a Thatcham approved alarm/immobiliser but doesn't say what it is. The 80 series (Amazon badged) also came with Thatcham approved alarm, specifically the (new) TVSS3B. I've heard this alarm was actually fitted to UK spec vehicles by Toyota UK before going on sale so was not actually "factory fitted" although provision was made for it in the wiring loom. The immobiliser is completely separate and factory fitted. I guess this muddies the waters a bit but I can't believe Toyota would fit a third party alarm if they had their own, security approved and rated system in the TVSS. I would assume all vehicles for all markets came with an OEM immobiliser irrespective of alarm options.
Thanks for the information! I'll continue to do some research.

I just had another look at my Lancruiser and it does in fact, have the factory immobiliser installed, so the puzzle continues on the alarm bit. I suppose I could install my own alarm, but I'd like to try and leave stock as much as possible just because it is a collector piece for me. Well, I say I'lI leave it stock for now, until I get the bug to outfit it with a roof rack, lights, etc.:)

Any idea on how I can figure out what version of the Colorado I have? I have a suspicion that mine is a TX. Is there a good Toyota VIN decoder out there that I can enter in my VIN and it will show me all of the options that were installed?

Back