Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Colorado rear strut housing repair

Buller

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Sure someone has had this problem in the past. Any tips on the repair and is there any pre-made plates manufactured anywhere?

Attachments

• IMG_0693.JPG
    IMG_0693.JPG
    417.2 KB · Views: 67

had to weld mine up last year in this area, didn't buy this part as the hemi-spherical bit the shock mounts on to was OK, I just repaired the flat areas around it

this was my effort

Cheers for that. Good tip on North South 4x4

When I was doing mine I spotted the tiny drain holes near the top shock mounting point, so tiny that there is no chance they would stay clear, I've added them to my long list of drain holes to poke out every year although it is probably too late now.

Drill any drain holes bigger to decrease chance of blocking and treat bare metal, same applies to others elsewhere.Too late now, but for future ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
you can get weld on brackets to relocate the shock mount to the outside of the chassis, meant for the 3rd gen 4runner they don't cost much and they set the rear shocks o work at a better angle, easier spot to weld too

Well, finally. Plates from NW 4x4 are in. Axle came out for easy access but worth the extra work to do a spot on job.
New rear springs going in with a few extra bits and pieces. All the trailing arms came out and are totally serviceable. Amazing as they have been in there 27 years.
Will add a few more photos when its all done :)

Attachments

• IMG_5221.jpg
    IMG_5221.jpg
    403.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5222.jpg
    IMG_5222.jpg
    372.5 KB · Views: 49
Good job, did you get them posted across to the UK? Did you replace both of them?

When I had my 90 series axle out for welding the turret brackets on it and replacing the rear springs, shocks, etc,, I found Panard arm was very tough to get back in place, did you have similar difficulty with it?

Hi there. Yes, I had both replaced NS 4x4 were great, shipped from NI within a few days. All the trailing arms and panard arm came out quite easy from when I understand. It was too big a job for me but MWS in Kidderminster done a fantastic job. Back on the road now. New exhaust, rear springs, drop links, and a few other bits.
ABS sensor light is on as the sensors were taken out and didn't like it! I've ordered new ones from NS 4x4 and will replace when they get here. A few more photos if you're interested.
Lanoguard next in a few months

Attachments

• IMG_0908.JPG
    IMG_0908.JPG
    549 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0911.JPG
    IMG_0911.JPG
    487.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0912.JPG
    IMG_0912.JPG
    431.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0913.JPG