Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dash warning light issues

Hally181

Country Flag
australia
I thought I would treat the old girl and have a new stereo put in her about 12 months ago. When I picked the car up there were a few lights on.

ABS, Stability Control Warning, and a couple of others, the company that put the stereo in has had the car for the last 12 months trying to find the problem.

We now have a new CPU, Transfer case switches all three, the wiring harness has been gone through, the fuse box cleaned, the dash checked, and the list goes on. And several people look at it.

But still, the dash lights remain on. It’s a 2004 Land Cruiser Sahara done about 250000 kays. I have owned it for about 15 years with no issues until we replaced the stereo. Has anyone had this problem before?

Dash lights are ABS, VSC, TRC-VSC OFF
1693733137098.png

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Dash lights are ABS, VSC, TRC-VSC OFF and View attachment 332888
Some of the codes he said he was getting like wheel speed sensors, faulty throttle position sensors, catalysts, system outside parameters all sorts of crazy stuff.
replaced all three transfer case sensors. no change even sealed the fuel filter no change.
all he did was replace the stereo. Toyota had a look at it and couldn't find it either. replaced the ECU, Checked all the earth wiring as well.

We could do with the actual codes and the real detail on what exactly has been done...

Have you got a check engine light?

You must really, freaking really, want that stereo to not go back to a working car in 12 months!

Of course it is possible the fitters caused an electric storm and fried everything, no going back from there. But these parts are individually testable... even the ECU if it went to Toyota.

Lets be honest.... The toyota apprentice had never seen a 20 year old LC before, followed a flowchart half heartedly, said fk it and the last step on the chart was REPLACE ECM

So whos been working on it? The radio installers and Toyota?

Last edited:
You must really, freaking really, want that stereo to not go back to a working car in 12 months!

Of course it is possible the fitters caused an electric storm and fried everything, no going back from there. But these parts are individually testable... even the ECU if it went to Toyota.
I would be happy with the old stereo back in and did ask him to put the old one back in and see if this was part of the problem, but no joy. he didn't try this.
I have been moving house and had another car to use so I wasn't fussed about the time at that point, but things have changed and now this has become a pain as it still has the lights on.
he also claimed this was a common problem with the 100 Land Cruisers.

Attachments

• IMG_1942.PNG
    IMG_1942.PNG
    709.2 KB · Views: 16
So who's been working on it? The radio installers and Toyota?
After the stereo was fitted and the lights came on. We took it to Toyota, but they could not identify what was causing the fault.
we took it back to the radio installer to see if it was something he might and caused and fix it.
He did say he went through the hole-wiring harness and didn't find anything he could have damaged accidentally.
then he started to pull the dash apart and try looking there with no results either.

If i was you id get the car back and get it into somewhere else for a proper diagnosis.

It does sound like the radio installer did something - they wont want to admit that if its a £££ fault. And even with the best will in the world, their expertise is lilely to be limited.

Even though youd think the Toyota dealer would be the logical place to go, theyre generally not really interested in these old vehicles and a lot of them just dont have the expertise in these anymore.

If you take it somewhere else make it clear you want a diagnosis with full information like fault codes etc - then you can post them here for our advice. An auto electrician might be the best place to start.

How much has this saga cost so far?

I'm with Karl here - take it to a proper auto electrician.
The cynic in me tells me the radio installer has no interest after being paid for the radio install, and HAS he actually looked into it and on what does he base his claim of a common problem with 100's ? Hmmm..?
As for Toyota dealer -older vehicle and after market stereo - give them a blank cheque and expect a whole list of parts fitted that don't solve it ?
Sorry I can't be more constructive, good luck !

If i was you id get the car back and get it into somewhere else for a proper diagnosis.

It does sound like the radio installer did something - they wont want to admit that if its a £££ fault. And even with the best will in the world, their expertise is lilely to be limited.

Even though youd think the Toyota dealer would be the logical place to go, theyre generally not really interested in these old vehicles and a lot of them just dont have the expertise in these anymore.

If you take it somewhere else make it clear you want a diagnosis with full information like fault codes etc - then you can post them here for our advice. An auto electrician might be the best place to start.

How much has this saga cost so far?
We haven't paid anything yet. As I plan to take it to someone else for a second opinion before paying for it, we also have no proof of anything really being changed other than word of mouth. So not sure yet.

Do you have any community members near you? It's super helpful to have someone come along and also ask questions when you visit the garage(s)

Back