Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Getting my head around being a new 80 owner

Ok cheers Chris Ill have a look at that and see if I can find the plunger. Just emailed the chap I bought it off and he confirms the previous owner had the BEB changed

Just looks like a big nut. Grey plug on top, only two wires, one of them is black and white. Don't think I have a picture.

Maybe I'm being dim here, (wouldn't be the first time, eh Chris? :lol:) but mine's a '95 registered 12 valve, then again, it's an HZ... :whistle:

(Should I run and hide now?)

Mine is 12 valve December 1994 IIRC, papers in car at the moment and I am away from home for a few days, as per Spanish law papers have to stay with car.

CONFIRMED mine was 'born' 14/12/1994

Manual
Cloth seats (optional?)
Third row seats Grrrrr don't get me started!
Diff locks X3
Sun roof
A/C
Rear heater
Sliding windows

As per Chris's comments leave the CDL switch on the gearbox unplugged, it is the better option IME.

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Clive my comments were restricted to real Landcruisers bought in the UK not some cheap foreign imitations. So, I haven't seen a real proper UK 12v 80 with a 95 plate, but that's not to say there wasn't any left over. This is about year of registration not manufacture.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nah, won't do you no good Clive. Remember we know where you is at. And we got dogs too..

If it's of any interest, mine is a 94, registered in Japan in September.
VX, cloth seats, fixed rear windows, no third row of seats, climate control, air con, no front locker, rear LSD (to be confirmed when the weather warms up), longer splines on the Birfields and a factory sunroof. No fog light and is a 12 valve 4.2 factory turbo diesel 1HD-T with no ABS although there is space for the sensors. Larger brake discs needing 16" rims. The top ceiling binnacle houses a compass and altimeter (which I never use and may well remove in favour of some sort of gadgetry). Can't think of anything else.

Edit. Auto with disc brakes all round.

Richard

Last edited:
That was the standard manual configuration for the year -mine is the same. It is UK spec and you should be getting 30mpg motorway or something is wrong 93-95 ids the best to have IMO...

Hmm, I'm getting about 25mpg on a run, but then I'm not driving that economically/slowly I guess! Maybe the next tankful I'll drive conservatively to see what it can do.

The 12v went on slightly later than that Mike. There were a lot of 94 12 valvers. I don't think I have seen a 95 registered 12v but it wouldn't surprise me if there were the odd one or two. The initial 80s were the 91 - 92 and then 92 to 94 some of the extras came in. Then of course the 24v began in 95. But because you could always tick things in the options box there were always one or two surprises. I have a GS. The Farmer's version. But it has factory AC. Someone ticked the option obviously. Didn't have a sunroof though but someone fitted one. People have put leather in from other vehicles and vice versa and as we seldom know all of a vehicle's history, a lot can happen in 22 years.

The vast majority of 80's up to 95 were autos with manual being quite rare, but after the 24v came in all uk spec were manual which is what makes us all laugh when people advertise a 'rare 24v manual'. There are 24v auto imports and people really seem to like them. Lovely to drive.

Good to know Chris, thanks! What extras were introduced on the 92-94 models then? And what optional extras does my car have, potentially? No sunroof or aircon, but does have sliding rear windows, third row seats, separate rear heater (may be on all vehicles?), 3x locking diffs...think that's it!

Just updated my earlier post in this thread, year and options.

regards

Dave

I get around 24.5 mpg on a run with heavy foot. I've never looked at the about town or combined. I thought, why ruin something good.

Mike the biggest change from the 92 through to the 94 model was the brakes upgrade and inclusion of ABS. They changed the wheels and bits and bobs on the dash etc, but they're the same car really. Can't say whether AC was introduced or was already an option. I haven't followed the specs that closely. Don't think leather was available prior to the upgrade.

Tom, are you a kayaker from Lancashire originally? Just a random thought based on your user name and location... Completely un-Land Crusier related...

Mike the biggest change from the 92 through to the 94 model was the brakes upgrade and inclusion of ABS. They changed the wheels and bits and bobs on the dash etc, but they're the same car really. Can't say whether AC was introduced or was already an option. I haven't followed the specs that closely. Don't think leather was available prior to the upgrade.

All that Chris has said. The front discs are bigger so the 16" wheels were essentiall to gain more clearance for the calipers.

Because my truck is a "cheap foreign imitation" (in some peoples' view mentioning no names :lol:, i.e. Not UK spec) it doesn't have rear disc brakes, which IMO may have some advantages, but it does have all three locking diffs, and a sunroof, and AC, but little else compared with the (equally foreign) UK spec.

It's also an HZJ meaning no turbo and a slightly different 1HZ engine, but in most other aspects it's still a Lancruiser and it's still the best, and it's mine, and I love it, so there :lol:

No I am not, from Exeter in the south of england

No drama's; one of the lads I knew from the kayak club I belonged to in Lancashire was called Tom King____ and was at Exeter Uni, hence the question!

Sometimes the world ends up very small, other times it remains this nice big place that is great to explore!

Enjoy the Land Cruiser!

The front discs are bigger so the 16" wheels were essentiall to gain more clearance for the calipers
[/QUOTE]

This is not quite right sorry clive the front brakes will still allow you to fit 15" wheels its the rear thats stops the 15's from going on. So if you only fit the larger front brakes you can have the best brakes and the option to run 15's.
stu

Drums at the rear? Fancy that. Probably a better handbrake!

Drums at the rear? Fancy that. Probably a better handbrake!

Have to say Chris, it does work well! :lol:

Its all pretty standard "old" technology in the drums, and there's been no problems so far with adjustment or the handbrake mech.

Ed he probably met me once and thought I was a legend so stole my name haha

Back