Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Goodyear Wrangler AT/R in the snow

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
One word. Awful. Having spent a weekend in decent snow a few weeks ago on the BFG AT the comparison to the Goodyear could not be more stark. We've had about 4" over night and still snowing. Went out first light to see what it was like and do the usual rescuing stuff. Not too long in and I wondered who was going to rescue me. I even had lockers in at one point, certainly didn't need those on the grey one. Complete lack of confidence in them; very little traction, poor breaking and rather unnerving sideways slippage without warning. OK I could get to where I wanted to go but only with extreme caution. Yes other lesser cars were struggling in places but I'm now parked firmly back on the drive.

On the road they have been absolutely fine. But they're clearly not a good Winter tyre.

After that comprehensive review, Chris, I'll bet you get a load of offers when you post them for sale in the classifieds.... :laughing-rolling:

Surprising though, for goodness sake, Goodyear have been making tyres long enough, you'd think... :icon-rolleyes:

I almost bought good year but I was looking for 16 inch and very wide which they only had in 17 inch

I almost bought good year but I was looking for 16 inch and very wide which they only had in 17 inch
If you want a winter tyre, don't buy an A/T. And the narrower the better. All Terrain tyres are generally awful on winter roads, also the BFG AT - which is dangerous, especially for the others on the road. For wintery roads you need flexible rubber with lots of little sipes, not the knobbly blocks of an A/T. For winter with deep snow outside of roads, the A/Ts do better, as long as there is deep snow to dig through, so for laning where you might hit a drift or ten, you are good. It is as soon as the snow under the tyres gets packed, as it normally does on a road, that the A/Ts become useless, or if the snow is wet.
Goodyear has good winter tyres, but they are not All Terrains.

I've found the BFG AT to be an awesome tyre in the snow. I've had it on SWB, LWB Colorados and 80 series. Hence the comparison with the Goodyear. But then my review was one based on UK conditions.

My experience is the same, I had BFG ATs on a D2. I left the Dordogne for the UK with a 2 tonne trailer under the threat of snow and 30 mins in it began. 24 hrs later I got to the UK. At least 30cm of snow all the way. Almost everyone else stopped, abandoned cars vans and lorries everywhere. I went uphill, downhill etc no probs under total control all the way. Can't praise them highly enough.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The new AT KO2's are marked as winter/snow tyres, Im looking at a set at the moment.

Back