Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Has anyone got access to a broken collie ? i need some wiring .

Even Simon Holton couldn't find a matching plug in mrT's own catalogue , would have to buy the whole loom just to get a single plug . I had pretty much decided to do as you say using bullet connectors and silicone but it occurred to me that during my web search i had seen other Toyota sensors with a brass screw fitting and a female connector that might accept the plug we have . It was 5pm by then but i passed this on to Simon and he confirmed receipt by requesting a pic of my plug so maybe tomorrow he will have some luck .

Have you asked trevor shayne? Isn't he breaking lil blue?

No intercooler on Lil Blue as far as i'm aware but thanks for the thought Gav you made me realise the title should read "has anyone got access to a broken intercooled Prado"

Despite his best efforts which are very much appreciated Simon Holton cannot find the required connection so not much hope now .

It's 2 pin Iwan but thanks for the thought if I had a local scrapyard to mooch around I'm sure I would find something that would fit .
Got a KDJ90 here now which hasn't got the same cooler but might have the same temp sensor I must remember to check tomorrow . MPG has definately improved since moviing the pressure sensor but I will have top up the tank before I can offer a figure .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
KDJ90. . I don't believe you!! Has your camera broken?:think::lol:

Nope I just wanna post a pic of both trucks together as this one looks identical to how mine was when I first bought it , it's not getting insured until the Mrs sells her car either and it would be just my luck to get 6 points for something so daft .

Think this is it just need to find a UK seller 90980-11062

In the end I just decided to buy it and try it but I can confirm 90980-11062 fits !

Its its not the right plug and comes without any internal pins but it is a very tight fit on the sensor so run your wires through the holes and jam in on and jobs a goodun . 8 quid from Simon Holton :thumbup:

So just for reference, can you confirm does it fit, or have you forced it?

The sensor pins are seperated by maybe half a mm to much and have left a slight groove in the recieving plastic slots , the connector itself is tight but the right shape and is let down only by its retaining clip which cannot catch .

I'm wondering now if it could catch if I drilled a hole in the connectors clip , I had to put the sensor back on as I will be out for the day . I will post some pics when I get a proper computer .

Well it's fitted and no evil lights on the dash , there might be a bit more go in the truck but it's getting hard to tell so we will see what the Mrs says next time she steals it , personally I think the benefit of this will show more in improved fuel consumption but only time will tell . I don't think I mentioned moving the pressure sensor up to the intercooler seems to have given me another 3mpg up from 20mpg last time I worked it out .

Helen agrees this has added power , which was more obvious with 5 adults in it and pointed out the engine runs a fair bit quieter now which is something that would never have occurred to me as half deaf anyway .

Hi Shayne. Good to hear you finally sorted this and all your efforts resulted in a positive result. I have been a bit busy with work last few weeks but have just read up on this. Still haven't got my intercooler fitted yet as been sorting the brakes out. Thought it might be better to get the truck to stop properly before adding extra grunt. Interested to read that moving the boost sensor gave you better MPG. Didn't think it would matter where in the system the sensor was as long as it was reading the pressure.

Hi Steve i hope my blundering helps you along with fitting it then i thought you already had it plumbed in . Conversely i do wonder if fitting a cooler without improving the exhaust is such a good idea . Obviously i don't know and i don't mean to dissuade you at all its just with all the reading i've done while blundering on a few things leave lingering doubts .
The 1KZ is designed to run on exhaust junk instead of air . Block the EGR valve and its now burning clean air , does that not result in a hotter burn ? intercooler cools and expands air , does that not mean more heat ?

I don't know and i trusted my exhaust to keep me safe but if it wasn't for that i think i would have spent some time on 1KZ-TE's that came out of the factory with an intercooler fitted just to see what other differences there are if you get what i mean . The 2001 1KD i have here came with an intercooler and i can see at a glance i won't be blocking the egr or anything of the sort , the damn things made of sensors :wtf:

Fitting the intercooler on a standard exhaust will still give you gains. The intercooler cools down the air optimizing oxygen levels for combustion, so lowering temperatures being fed back into the engine which should lead to lower EGT. Blocking the EGR will also lower EGT as less hot gasses are getting back into the intake, let along the crud and un-burnt fuel as well. Fitting the bigger exhaust will allow gases to exit faster, lower EGT, spool the turbo up quicker giving you better throttle response throughout the lower RPM band.

Off topic slightly, but I ran my cruiser for a short period of time without a muffler, so it was basically straight through. Upon testing I found if I revved it high and drop off the gas, it'll rev high for about couple seconds after my foot was off before falling back down... Kinda like the engine's momentarily running away. Tweaked the fuel down a little and this stopped it. This really confused the hell out of me.

Could the high rev thing you describe just be reduced engine braking because there's not so much back pressure from the exhaust ? my exhaust reduced engine braking a lot , slip my foot off the side of the pedal when my foots to the floor and ..... well i wouldn't spill my cuppa tea if i had one .

I know what your saying about the intercooler I'm just suggesting there is a flipside of the coin . With the standard set up warm gas and fuel go bang at lower temperatures than pure oxygen and fuel will . What I'm thinking is the bigger bang is what gives more power but doesn't that leave us with more heat to expel ?

Last edited:
What I'm thinking is the bigger bang is what gives more power but doesn't that leave us with more heat to expel ?

Basically yes, more power does mean more heat usually. But when you are putting your foot down in an under powered diesel, you create unnecessary heat from excess fuel (assuming your fuel pump is set to deliver it) which hasn't been turned into kinetic energy. The intercooler helps use the extra/excess diesel when putting your foot down, by making the air cooler and denser so that there is more oxygen available to efficiently burn this excess diesel. So while you are making more power and heat, hopefully the extra heat is less than you would have created by using too much throttle without an intercooler.

Back