Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Has anyone got access to a broken collie ? i need some wiring .

Btw I moved the feed for my boost sensor to the intercooler too, and it seems to have gone part way to filling my midrange torque dip. I'm still trying to figure out why..? I'm not sure what it's doing with the mpg yet.
I'll move the temp sensor next and see how that goes, but might wait until I've got some mpg figures for the boost feed mod first.

Worth a quick read - http://stratifiedauto.com/blog/the-effects-of-intake-air-temperatures-on-turbocharged-vehicles/

I'm reluctant to move my air temp sensor to the intercooler though. While I do think that the intercooler is a better place to take the reading from (than the black intake pipe), I think that the temperature difference between the 2 locations would be quite substantial and I'm not sure that the much higher temp reading from the intercooler would be good for the fueling without further adjustment - my gut feeling is that the ecu might reduce the amount of fuel to compensate for the extra heat. This could be corrected with the Tunit on a dyno though, but I don't think that it is just a straight swap. I'm curious why its worked so well in Shayne's case?? Was it maybe over fuelling slightly..? Dunno. :crazy:

Have a read here too - http://www.autospeed.com.au/cms/article.html?&A=109789

I delayed reply to get some mpg figures since moving the temp sensor and sadly its back down to 20.5mpg . Could be though that the last reading was done with myself covering 300 odd miles , this latest calculation (124 miles) results mostly from the mrs going backwards and forwards to work 22 miles a day and she does seem to think my truck is supposed to run at between 3 and 4000rpm all the time !

I think the trouble is the truck will redline without giving any indication it is working hard at all but at least being a former Rover owner Helen has an acute fear of a rising temperature gauge .

With regards to the why with the boost sensor I gave up asking myself instead accepting I will never have any idea about the electric wizardry . My thoughts are - to call it a temperature gauge seems almost too convenient , same with the boost sensor and it seems likely to me they both do more than the simple description suggests . I reckon your right about it leaning out fuel though . My take on this is pure oxygen will ignite from a spark and needs no fuel at all . Obviously we are a long way short of pure but still with the cooler we are putting more flammable air into the mix and so it stands to reason less fuel is required .

By the way i think i did find the correct temperature sensor and plug on ebay Oz but communication with the seller was unhelpful as he wanted part numbers rather than replying with something like "yes this fits on the intercooler"

Shayne, it might be worth moving the temp sensor back to the intake pipe and leaving the boost sensor connected to the intercooler. This is what I have at the moment and I've seen a 5% improvement in consumption as well as an improvement in midrange torque.

That won't be happening Fridayman i've no diagnostic or testing apparatus so i'm guided by how the truck feels and all i can say is it feels right where it is .

I have wondered if the boost sensor measures pressure and temperature , which would explain why moving it makes such a difference , and the temperature sensor actually measures oxygen ?

Any way i was about to post a question for Beau but you might be able to help if your still online . I had actually dialled the number to book my truck in for dyno testing on a rolling road when it occurred to me i've yet to fit a boost controller .

I've read many claims that the ecu will interfere with boost over 14psi and others saying factory boost is about 11psi . This has me wondering if a boost controller is a worthwhile investment as quite possibly i'm boosting at the ecu limit because of the washer actuator mod .

I can get a good deal right now on a turbosmart controller with gauge included but as the gauge will be used only for set up then removed and the controller will not be set beyond 14psi i do wonder if its a waste of money .

What do you think ?

Last edited:
You won't know how much boost you're running until you fit a boost gauge, and once it's fitted there's no real reason to remove it. So if you can get a good deal, go for it. If you don't need the controller you can always move it on again. However I think an egt gauge is more important. Personally, all my diesel fourbies will have boost and egt gauges from now on as they're not much money for what they can tell you.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Agreed on the EGT gauge i need one , and a coolant gauge but don't see much point in a permanent boost gauge , set it and forget it is my thinking . Just need to work out how to wire them in tidily , if there was an obvious spot to put the clocks i wouldn't be so reluctant to fit them .

There are some nice pillar pods available, or you could gut a dash pod (I think someone on here did that - Ben maybe?).

Back