Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Homemade blackout blinds!!

cmcmill01

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
So decided to make some black out blinds for the 80, hoping to off-road in Wales with just the wife, so instead of the tent, going to try and sleep in the car!
Also to use the diesel heat to give us some heat.
Bought the material from eBay and then used bits of paper to create a template to cut, still might put an edge around them.
82D16233-321A-4096-B95D-36AD6DD81F3C.jpeg
0A4D539C-F736-4247-9415-2847D8EB43AA.jpeg
928F3539-712B-4750-B4F1-958100D9C9F0.jpeg
D01E676C-1ECE-4B59-ACCB-E4BC9F8C6FC0.jpeg

That’s good bed set up. I too have similar idea of sleeping in the car as I travel alone. Trying to do the bed set up within disturbing stock seats and characters of the car.
The protection arches around the wheels look good. Are they factory fittings or after market?

That’s good bed set up. I too have similar idea of sleeping in the car as I travel alone. Trying to do the bed set up within disturbing stock seats and characters of the car.
The protection arches around the wheels look good. Are they factory fittings or after market?
If alone I’d put the fridge back in on the right hand side and then a single sim down the side.

Aftermarket - pocket flares from a guy on MUD

Reactions: Raj
I really don't feel comfortable with the cold air pickup being so close to the exhaust on your heater setup. Can you move one of them or add an extension to one to ensure exhaust isn't sucked in, heated and pumped into the truck?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
@GeekOKent The cold air is coming in from the other side of the box do you still think it’s not far enough away? I can always straighten the exhaust pipe

Have you got a link to the listing for the material, and are those suckers you're using to attach it?

@GeekOKent The cold air is coming in from the other side of the box do you still think it’s not far enough away? I can always straighten the exhaust pipe

Part of it depends on the direction of wind, or even if it's a still night.

I just feel getting the fresh air from far away would be better.

Did you build the heater yourself? If so where did you get the box, I am in the process of building something similar.

Have you considered piping the air inlet to the interior of the truck, which will recirculate the air. The idea being to have warm air at the inlet and hopefully using less energy than heating the icy outside air.

There is a chance that you'll run into errors in the ECU if you do that BB. I suspect if the inlet temsps are too high it will shut down. These things produce a billion BTUs on a thimble of derv in any case. Better econonomy is not something that's really needed.I too built one into a Peli case, but you can actually buy them already all self contained at the same money. It's quite a bit of work and some additional cost to get something that you can buy off the shelf. Worth having though, they make camping bearable for even the most nesh Southeners.

@Beijing Ballie I've just mounted a Chinese heater in a Peli style case I had lying around but it's not firing for some reason and I'm rapidly losing interest so if you want to finish the project we could work something out when you pick up the fridge. It's all there.

Hey Jacob, thanks for the offer, but I have all the components already , except the case which i have just ordered. You should bring the heater with to the meet we can all offer to help.
I just enjoy that type of joint effort involves some first class banter.

If the heater is not run up occasionally sometimes when you need it the most it will fail to work as I found out on cold night when trucking up round T Bay truck stop in a bloody cold January
Jacob it's more than likely the glow plug might be worth removing it and give it a gentle clean then run it up for atleast an hour

@Shayne not sure those ones are water proof and happy to go on the roof rack during transport

Back