Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Factory Flare Upgrade

Yatys93

Country Flag
australia
Hoping someone here as some ideas, working on getting it ready to pass a roadworthy (Vic) and one of the issues is the rims it came with stick out passed the body, so temp fix the rubber flares (yes I know I did it wrong, will redo when the hub centering rings arrive so I don't have to jack the car and remove wheels over and over again) these rubber bits will work for Vic roads but I hate them, tried to find some aftermarket flares but all I can find are ebay units from Thailand which I highly doubt with be ADR approved.

as can be seen in the picture though I got one without the factory flares, so wondering if I go to a wreckers and buy all the trim pieces and extra mounting bits, other than cutting some holes they should fit right?

thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated, and yes I could replace the rims, but trying to avoid doing that as once it's road legal again it will be having some off road work done, including a lift and then I will be getting bigger rims and tyres for it, so would rather avoid buying 2 sets of rims in as many months.

Thanks all

Attachments

• Rubber Flares.jpeg
    Rubber Flares.jpeg
    464.1 KB · Views: 16
wow, that's really strict... they barely poke out of the body.
tbh adding the flares from the widebody is quite a big job, the holes are square on the body to fit the original clips, so not easy to drill, and there is the whole door side and sill trim too.
I think I did see some flares for the Prado from Aliexpress, would they need to be ADR approved (no idea wha ADR is) I imagine the rubber extensions you put on now are not type approved eaither... so maybe the flares wouldn't need either?

wow, that's really strict... they barely poke out of the body.
tbh adding the flares from the widebody is quite a big job, the holes are square on the body to fit the original clips, so not easy to drill, and there is the whole door side and sill trim too.
I think I did see some flares for the Prado from Aliexpress, would they need to be ADR approved (no idea wha ADR is) I imagine the rubber extensions you put on now are not type approved eaither... so maybe the flares wouldn't need either?
Yaa welcome to Aussie road laws

That was my concern was how much work would it be vs spending more on aftermarket ones

ADR stands for Australian design rules, basically anything on a car over here has to meet their standards, I found some nice flares on eBay that would have been great but Thailand imports probs won’t meet the spec, weirdly the rubber flares are perfectly fine somehow, such a weird rule to get used to but it is what it is

Someone on Facebook linked me to 1 set which meet the specs but almost 4 figures so definitely a later job

Back