Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Jimbo's LJ78 'Cruiser

Rob said:
Jimbo4x4 said:
my rear axle can't be taking that much more than 500kg most of the time. What's the front of an 80 weigh? Three times that?
your probably right, i think the engine weighs close to 400kg on it own. Of the top of my head i think the axle load limits on the 80 are about 1900kg and 1700kg for rear and front respectfully, will confirm this when i go home for lunch.
almost got it right, front is 1500kg and rear is 1950kg on the 80. how do these compare to your 70 Jim?

Thanks for the reply...I'll wait a bit before I change them then...maybe one day I will buy a pair of electric ones like yours (I think my BJ70's once had electrical mirrors 'coz there's still the mirror switch on the dashboard). However, at the moment I prefer to invest in restoring the more important things...

Rob said:
almost got it right, front is 1500kg and rear is 1950kg on the 80. how do these compare to your 70 Jim?

Sorry for the late reply Rob, only just seen this. My vin plate and handbook are both very scarce on load limit details, indeed I can't find a towing limit anywhere! :? I tried fitting Gav's old front springs but they were nearly 4" longer than mine and with more coils so would most definately have given a substantial lift over standard. If I'm going down that route I'd rather fit a complete kit. I'll have a look see if I can't just get some uprated springs for the rear instead.

Just a quick vid I threw together from Rex's recent saunter around the South Lakes

[youtube:cq1xzfb1]myE_FcVQTv8[/youtube:cq1xzfb1]

Looks like a good trip, thanks for putting it together

It's been a while since Rex was treated with some goodies, so thought the next one should be a good one... After much deliberation I went for some +45mm Dobinsons springs with some shock spacers provided by Gav :)

First a reminder of how Rex looked with a saggy arse:
DSCF1411.jpg

So, first step was to jack up that saggy arse and whip the rear wheels off to see what I'm dealing with:
DSCF1644.jpg

DSCF1646.jpg

The old springs come out with relative ease and on comparing them with the new ones they don't look that much different in size, however there are two more coils in the Dobinsons:
DSCF1653.jpg

...so, utilising a set of these:
DSCF1652.jpg

...they go straight in.

While the back was up I decided to adjust the load sensor - this needs doing to keep the brakes in check. You can see the adjuster above the diff on the left of this pic, I just screwed it all the way to the top and although there wasn't 45mm of adjustment available it seems ok (I'm sure the next MOT will pick up any probs):
DSCF1649.jpg

Next, the shock extensions. Gav supplied four 45mm long hex nuts and the threaded bar needed to make the extensions. All that was left to do was screw the bar halfway into the nuts and cut them off to size. This is what each finished product looked like:
DSCF1655.jpg

Unfortunately, when I pulled the bushes off the pins on the bottom of the shocks I found that said pins were only threaded less than halfway, which meant I had to find a M10x1.25 die nut to thread the rest of the pin so I could screw on the extensions :(
I cut down the pins and threaded the rest of the bar...:
DSCF1657.jpg

...and screwed the extensions on:
DSCF1658.jpg

All in place:
DSCF1659.jpg

That's the back done :)
DSCF1660.jpg

I ran out of time to do the front as finding that die nut took up the best part of they day :? but managed to get to it a couple of days later... when I didn't have a camera with me :oops: sorry! It was fairly straightforward anyway and I got the camera out last weekend when I tested the whole kit out in anger at Lincomb :D
Unexpectedly seems to flex a little better despite the limitations of the standard shocks... no complaints though! This is with the front anti-roll bar still in place:
44950_496318933032_543658032_7007513_6690842_n.jpg

72575_496319148032_543658032_7007519_5179641_n.jpg

and afterwards down on the Gower. Looks level with a half decent load which is what I was looking for, so very pleased with the end product :D :D
33764_496327018032_543658032_7007841_2283420_n.jpg

69811_496326928032_543658032_7007835_3453704_n.jpg

Up next, a full size spare and a start on replacing some half worn Coopers. Well, it's about time :lol:

Jim

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It looks like it sits nicely on those new springs :thumbup: you might need to lower your bump stops a bit so that fully compressed you're not hitting the shocker internal stops because they don't tend to like that.

is there a purveyor of dobinsons springs in the uk or did you import those?

Thanks Jon, the thought did cross my mind but then - how far should I extend them? 45mm would be the obvious answer but then my articulation would suffer massively..
The plan was always to use the extensions as a temp measure until these shocks give up the ghost, then get some longer shocks to suit. I figure if these give up slightly sooner because they bottom out from time to time then it's no big deal ;)

...thinking about it, I may slide underneath next I'm at full articulation and see how far the axle is from the stop - then extend a few mm on top of that difference. At least that'll give them a fighting chance and not really eat into my articualtion :)

Callum, I got these sent from Dobinsons EU in Poland, they're the main European importer and proved very helpful. However, the only reason I went for these guys is they had the springs I wanted in stock - All American Imports in Holland also import Dobinsons kit from Aus and would have worked out a little cheaper, 'cept that they only had the 65mm kits in stock and I would have had to wait several months for their next container :shock:
I want an overlander, not a monster truck ;)

Jim.

Looking good Jim - 'bout time you updated the thread... :p Mind you, its 'bout time I started one!!! :oops:

PS - some of your pics have fallen off :(

The last Lincomb picture looks like the wheel stuffed quite well, maybe the shockers had some travel in reserve as it doesn't look like the wheel could travel much further up anyway!

Heh, it would appear so.. seems to tuck in about as much as before, despite the extensions..
Having trouble finding an old flex pic that shows the rear tucked in but if you squint a bit you might just make it out here:
DSC02886-1.jpg

Compared to:
72575_496319148032_543658032_7007519_5179641_n.jpg

:think: maybe the axles already touching the stop in both pics? Only one way to find out...

Gav Peter said:
PS - some of your pics have fallen off :(
Where 'bouts mate? They're all showing fine for me :?:

Jimbo4x4 said:
Where 'bouts mate? They're all showing fine for me
:doh: Yup, all looking good tonight.... Honestly, there were 4 white blocks with red 'x's in last night when I logged on...

lj78nz said:
hey mate just wondering on the specs of your exhaust sizes etc
cheers
2.5" at the narrowest point iirc, and a single straight-through box. HTH.

Jim.

Nice motor ;) I enjoyed your expedition photos. Mod's can be added over time for there is no real rush for these vehicles are build to last and used over a lifetime. :thumbup:

i love the Dobinson lift.
i had 2 LJ78 units that i refused to sell (long story) so one became my wife's daily driver and the other became my bush pig.
on the wife's i installed the OME kit
on mine i installed the Dobinson kit.

both went on easily.
both came with shocks that are too short for the application, a shock should never be the limiter for travel.
both were the same 2.5" lift.

the ride was a bit harsher with the OME
but
the Dobinson you could get all 4 tires in the air and when you came down it was VERY gentle.
the OME would bottom out.

when the heads went on both, both ended up being parted out. the Dobinson kit ended up going on my PZJ78 conversion.

BTW, you can run 36" tractor tires on a LJ78 with 2.5" lift. the limiting factor is the width, stay skinny and you can go tall.

love the pics, do keep posting.
cheers
Wayne

Back