Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

looking to buy a later 80 4.2

thanks for the advice should be getting down there mid next week so i will let you all know if i buy it an i will post some pictures (if i can) cant wait to see how they compare to the defender off road and how much better they are on road

Personally for me I'd put a full genuine camb belt kit on. Pulley, belt and tensioner. I've seen a good few of the 24v trucks with one of the 3 that has failed. This ends in the head being in a total mess and you would struggle to fix it.

You our need to do some reading up on here regarding the places the rust sets in and whilst viewing pay good a tension to the paintwork.

If you buy the grey one you can always buy some VX door cards to match the seats, my GS had had them retro fitted before I bought it but it does make the interior a very monotonous grey colour which needs the wood effect trim to break it up. Still its a bit academic till you actually buy it/one.

It'll be a damn sight more comfortable and that you can be sure of.

i prefer the grey one anyway so scott and graham yo may of saved me me a trip i have spoke to them on the phone they wernt very helpful and where quite eager to get a £200 deposit off me

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
just did a little googleing and found this, so maybe if anyone else is after a cruiser dont travel too far to this guy coz it might be a waste of time i certainly wont be going[h=2]THIS IS TO MAKE PEOPLE AWARE OF S H CAR SALES IN BEDFORD, I PURCHASED A CAR FROM THEM, THE GUY THAT SOLD THE CAR WAS A CHAP CALLED JAMIE, AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE THE TRACTION LIGHT WAS ON BUT I WAS INFORMED THAT THE CAR HAD A FLAT BATTERY AND THE LIGHT WILL GO OUT WHEN THE CAR IS DRIVEN, WELL I DROVE IT BACK FROM BEDFORD TO NORFOLK AND THE LIGHT STILL ON, SO A WEEK LATER I BOOKED IT IN TO VW DEALER WHO TOLD ME THE BRAKE PRESURE SENSOR WAS FAULTY, SO I CALLED S H CAR SALES AND WAS TOLD HE WILL ORDER THE PART FOR ME, A WEEK LATER STILL NO PART, 2 WEEKS LATER NO PART STILL, 5 WEEKS GO BY AND ITS ARRANGED FOR ME TO DRIVE TO BEDFORD AND GET THE PART FITTED, I DRIVE FROM NORFOLK TO BEDFORD ONLY TO BE TOLD THE PARTS NOT HERE, BUT HE DOES TELL ME THAT HE WILL PAY THE COSTS FOR ME, ANOTHER 3 WEEKS GO BY AND AFTER ME CALLING ON SEVERAL DIFFERENT MOBILES SO HE ANSWERED MY CALLS, HE SENT A SECOND HAND PART,, 2 WEEKS LATER I MANAGED TO GET HIM TO PAY THE GARAGE BILL TO FIT IT, THE CAR WENT IN THE GARAGE, I WAS CALLED BY THE GARAGE ONLY TO BE TOLD ITS THE WRONG PART, I CALLED S H CAR SALES AGAIN, SPOKE TO JAMIE, WHO HAD RECEIVED MY EMAIL, HIS WORDS TO ME WAS- I DONT GIVE A FUCK ABOUT SOLICITORS, NO FUCKER HAS GOT ME YET AND NO ONE EVER WILL, ALL THAT HE HAD TO DO WAS PAY £180.00 FOR THE PART THAT I BOUGHT TO FIX THE CAR, SO MY ADVICE TO ANY ONE THINKING OF BUYING FROM S H CAR SALES IS TO STAY WELL CLEAR, I WAS BITTEN BY THEM, DONT GIVE THEM THE CHANCE TO BITE YOU.[/h]

The grey one looks like a UK spec GX with VX seats fitted. These were not even an option on the GX at the time according to the sales brochure. As said it's the all-round condition that's important. Check the 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 2nd gear changes when cold for any reluctance to engage. In the absence of a decent service history and assuming it looks and drives OK, budget for new cam belt (and possibly idler pulley and tensioner), all round fluid change and a front hub rebuild/axle oil seal change if the swivels look a bit weepy. Must admit I like the look of the grey one and I have a red one like the one in the other add but don't like the grey bumpers on it. JMO

If its a GX it will have the latest/best g/box anyway, never been a known problem.

You get crap service with a main dealer when there's a problem. I dread to think what would happen with most SH dealers.
They buy from auctions where many of the problem cars end up. They are unqualified and know nothing about cars.

If thats your bid on the gray one i think i would have contacted him and made an offer..

yea that is my bid i have spoke to him and he says he will accept £6000 i was wondering if that was a little too much but i have been looking round on here and it seems about right plus i found it on here that it was listed on ebay for near£8000 so he has already come down £2000

Everything finds its market price and if its solid on the bodywork and drives well its the right price, when it was £8K I thought " Chancer" but in the end it found its level. Don't go with your rose tinted glasses though. Best of luck if its in tip top form, if its not then you will be in the position of lots of us seeking 80's, most of us are trying to turn back the effects of time with these trucks and inevitably come away disappointed.

Not saying it isnt worth it, but its been on a while and it would be nice to come home with a new motor and 500 in your back pocket..

oh dont worry i will try to come home with as much money in my pocket as i can and armed with some of the info i have got on here i am sure i can find some bargaining chips

If you need someone to ask any questions whilst your looking round the truck feel free to pm me and ill send my number.

Always nice to know exactly where to look for issues on the 80s :thumbup:

Take your time - there's a reasonable turn-over of 80s on eBay and Autotrader. I've been close to the market for the last 18 months, and 6k is ok if it's mechanically sound, but if you can live without lockers (which usually don't work anyway) or 3rd row seats, you'll find a clean import for much less. You won't find a UK car without rust for sensible money, whereas imports usually spent their early lives in warmer climes, so don't bear the scars of the great British winter!

I spent 6 months looking, found very clean truck going for a song, but by the time it was up to scratch I'd spent 6k.

Good luck!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Take your time - there's a reasonable turn-over of 80s on eBay and Autotrader. I've been close to the market for the last 18 months, and 6k is ok if it's mechanically sound, but if you can live without lockers (which usually don't work anyway) or 3rd row seats, you'll find a clean import for much less. You won't find a UK car without rust for sensible money, whereas imports usually spent their early lives in warmer climes, so don't bear the scars of the great British winter!

I spent 6 months looking, found very clean truck going for a song, but by the time it was up to scratch I'd spent 6k.]

Wise words indeed, the first thing I do with the 3rd row of seats is remove them to save weight, I had my 1st 80 16 years and while it was on the road I only used the diff lock once, but it still worked when I sold it.
Guy you are right about imports, my DD is a 95 24V auto, solid, everything except the rear wiper works, came with 2 working diff locks 12 months MOT drives as it should for half the amount of the grey one and I wouldn't swap it for that or any other manual one.
Patience is deffo the key, ask any of the 80 guys on here who have been down the same road. Incidentally in 97 when I bought my 1st 80 it was no easier buying a good one then, the one I got was the 30th I viewed after 6 months and over 2K miles but I kept it a long time and kept it nice.

Again good luck

im looking for it to be my daily driver i work quite close to home so mpg shouldnt be a great issue but i will be turning it in to a bit of an off roader maybe a 4" lift 315 tyres and winch bumper i think i may be getting a little ahead of my self im just looking forward to getting back in a 4x4 i do like the grey one he has undersealed the underneath and i am wondering if that might be to cover something nasty but i have still been searching on ebay there in another on there now http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301725776834?_trksid=p2060353.m2763.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT not quite as clean but will leave me with a much bigger budget to modify it and get it up to scratch

Back