Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

looking to buy a later 80 4.2

Don't fit 315's if you want it for off road. Far too fat. You'll just slither around in the mud. Trust me.

its more for the ground clearance really but i do know what you mean my defender had 35" insta turbos on it that wherent much wider than the rim nit including the nobbles that stick out about a foot and my friend had 37" maxxis bighorn balloon tyres with arbs front and rear and he couldnt get through half the stuff i could but that is most probably down to the driver :icon-cool: i will probably go for bf goodrich mud terrain km2 305s because that is the biggest you can get here

305/70s or 285/75s are pretty much identical rolling diameter.

2" lift is plenty in any case - good balance on an 80... :)

Find the right truck first - mods and tyres are secondary. Good luck either way.

Oh - and going right back to the OP - buying a used LC80 is pretty much like buying a used Defender - they're expensive, there's a lot of dogs out there, and having knowledge of the breed is vital.

thanks for the info on the tyres 285 might be the ones to get now i have just got to get a land cruiser i know what i am looking for on a land rover i was just looking for particular issues on the 80 there dont really seem to be many so now i just have to go and look at some starting with that grey one and that green one so a weekend driving

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Don't fit 315's if you want it for off road. Far too fat. You'll just slither around in the mud. Trust me.

I run 35x12.50 and don't have issues in mud. Bfg mt

Yea I have had a look at that one I know it is closer but being an import does put me off a little even if they may be in better condition underneath and I really do need the diff lock if I'm going to be taking it off road

Why do you really need a diff lock? The last import I bought had 2 working lockers but mainly ihe imports have a LSD rear axles which work surprisingly well where extra traction is needed. Have you enquired if it has diff locks or LSD?

Yea I'm just waiting for a reply I'm hassling everyone on eBay who is selling one

I almost went to look at that grey one myself a couple of months back, it wasn't in Bedford tho, somewhere near Grantham lincs IIRC pics I saw were taken on a tyre shop forecourt. I wanted a similar spec to you, daily driver and hardcore laning/overland, after I got fed up rolling around under a LR90, I was lucky one of my mates was upgrading to a troopy so I got his pride n joy 80 all specced out :)

If you're going to look at the Bedford one, I could come with for moral support, I'm no expert on specs but I can stop you buying a duffer, I'd want £500 off the price he wants just to sort out the number plate issue. if you want to make a day of it I could take you over to Trevor & Ed at Freedom 4x4 to look at a couple of very nice UK spec 80's, I might have bought one of em if my ideal truck hadn't come up at the same time, 8-9k for tops trucks tho

Don't worry about offraod ability compared to the 90, I followed my mates trayback round Yarwell while he tried desperately to find somewhere I couldn't follow, he failed :icon-biggrin: I've just got back from doing a coast to coast laning trip in the 80, if Carlsberg did a laning trip, it's be this route in an 80 series :icon-cool:

Last edited:
The grey one is in gosport you make a good point about knocking money off for the reg plate and it's good to hear that a land cruiser is just as capable off road thanks

It's only the front diff lock you'll miss with an import - you still have the centre and rear. I haven't heard anyone gripe about the performance of the LSD vs manual locker.

Petrol is a good option if 12mpg doesn't frighten you. Very refined, and cheaper - so more cash for toys, but also tend to escape the abuse their diesel cousins are often subjected to I wouldn't go for LPG though.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

It's only the front diff lock you'll miss with an import - you still have the centre and rear. I haven't heard anyone gripe about the performance of the LSD vs manual locker.

LSD's on 80 have never been great IME, and seeing as the off roader's over here fit ARB lockers and dump the LSD before entering competitions speaks volumes. Interesting that they will go to the trouble of fitting an OE electric setup if they can find one.

regards

Dave

after going to see one in Birmingham and it being a rust bucket i decided to keep driving to Portsmouth and having given the grey one a good look over i couldn't find much wrong with it. However both diff locks dont work i am engaging the centre diff and the light comes on solid but the front and rear just flash the sensor for the light on the rear one in knackered but the actuators arnt making any noises anyway so im going to strip the rear one the front looks ok but when i move the switch in to rr i hear a relay click in the diff lock control module in the passenger footwell when i put it in to ffrr should i hear another click?

IMG_1219.JPG

It will click when an actuator is being engaged / disengaged. If it doesn't, then given your description of the problem, forget about the no click for the time being as that is a cheap fix. It's like to be the magnets which have come unstuck on the armature motor which is not difficult to fix. More details here on my rebuild thread. My front one wasn't corroded at all and the magnets were unstuck and it now works fine. My rear one was corroded to hell, but I got to work for a while. Had to get a new one in the end though.

Last edited:
Looks handsome. Now the fun begins. We're here to guide you. How'd it drive?

Back