Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New Headlights

JOHN OF LONDON

Country Flag
uk
The original headlights are showing their age, not the road ahead.

New ones from Mr T are an eyewatering price; does anyone have any advice on aftermarket replacements?

The original headlights are showing their age, not the road ahead.

New ones from Mr T are an eyewatering price; does anyone have any advice on aftermarket replacements?
Assuming the glass lenses are good then do what I did and swap out the bulbs for LED's. Buying LED bulbs (canbus) can be a hit and miss affair, I finally found a UK supplier that has their own "branded" LED's, they're considerably less money than Phillips and Osram although they do stock them. The H4 & H1 replacements work very well, a nice clear white light with no "spotty faced yoof" blue tinge, also the cut off on dip is great with an upswing to the verge and not above the boot line of a car in front. The brand is Twenty20 and here's the link: R509T LED B8.3D 12V 2W Panel & Dashboard Bulbs - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club] For your info I've picked up an 08 Merc ML320 CDI sport and as part of the initial going over the headlight bulbs have been replaced with Twenty20's. Note that if you put LED's in your indicators you would be wise to also fit the appropriate resistors to avoid any rapid flashing etc.

Mine are 31 years old and with the highest rated osram nightbreaker halogens in them, i have zero complaints on the range or dipped range.
The main beam is outstanding, especially if adjusted a bit high.

I've looked at the HID aftermarket units plastered all over Ebay and they just look too blingy.
I also have a 2007 Audi with the HIDs in as standard and the lighting even on main beam is shockingly poor.

I honestly would just stick to getting the +200% halogen bulbs, unless the reflectors are completely shagged.
Also, with HID kits or LED's, i think that will pose an MOT issue due to the glass lenses having the diffused pattern etc.

That's just my opinion though...

It was a long time ago but I think mine are Philips +150 racing and they came with this little box adapter or whatever it is ?

500A8696-8421-45D6-8855-55FF0A574CB8.jpeg

Can be fun when mr BMW dazzler takes offence at someone having better lights than him so gives you a flash of full beam and I return the favour doubling down on his puny headlights

Hasn’t happened since I set my lights lower than they need to be . Incidentally the bottom of my headlight is 3 and a half foot from the floor .

Last edited:
Back