Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New (to me) Colorado GX 1997 front outer CV rubber boot needs replacement.

farmerboy

Country Flag
uk
Hi all, I have recently deserted Land Rovers and joined the Landcruiser fraternity. Bought an old Colorado 95 (1997 vintage) and was so impressed with it I have bought a LC120 (2003) as well. Hence my need to sort out a few niggles on the Colorado and get it sold ready for the "new" one.

The Colorado is in amazingly good order for its age and apart from a "growling" noise on acceleration (now fixed) it just needs a couple of tyres, a service and a new CV boot at the front. I was aware of the fault when I bought it and thought I would have a go at fixing it myself. I have bought the workshop manual but I cannot visualise how the boot can be made to fit over the CV joint. It looks like it will have to go over the "fat" end of the CV joint and then slide onto the driveshaft but that will mean a BIG stretch. I assume I am barking up the wrong tree but are the rubber boots stretchy enough to fit as I have described.

Never done one before so any advice gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

I have just done a bit of searching on tinterweb and found split Cv boots. Looks like you glue them on.

Seems a clever solution and no spanners required.... anyone used them?

Shaft has to come out to fit it and i think they've now made dodgy boots an m.o.t fail . I was looking for options and found something called iirc magic boots which are very stretchy indeed but it was to close to mot time to order and so i let a friendly garage relieve me of about 50 quid to fit a toyota boot while doing the mot .

hmmmm... the advert says the split boots are MOT "approved" but not sure how true that may be!

Back