Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

RAM Mount question for the new iPad3

Steve,

Great write-up, thanks.

Can I ask if you are interested in making up the bracket bases? Its beyond my abilities at the moment as I have no tools or garage.

Cheers

Pete

Steve, Great write-up, thanks.
Thank you Pete, yes I'm very pleased with it apart from the single fixing point of the ball. If i were to do it again I would use a ball with a diamond base so it had two fixing points. I still have to tighten it up every now and then as its loosened itself!

Can I ask if you are interested in making up the bracket bases? Its beyond my abilities at the moment as I have no tools or garage
Alas no I'm afraid :( I'm also very limited in time and resources and had to make that one on the hoof when I did at my m8's workshop!! Best thing to do is to make one out of card to get the shap, you'd probably need to get the diamond base ball to do this. Then pop it along to a local Black-Smiths or Engineering firm to be made :icon-smile:

No worries, I will find a suitable person locally.

Cheers

Pete

For diamond base do you mean the ram-238 ?

So I'd need to order 2 of them and a short arm.

Plus a holder for the tablet.

Cheers

Pete

Yes, the same one that goes onto the back of the Tab-Tite as it has the two fixing points. The single fixing point ball is OK so long as the weight is on the right side of the fixing point as this is the doing up direction. If it's on the left side (rare) then it undoes itself :icon-smile:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ok,

Ordered the mount and arm for my Christmas pressie.

Went for the 1" ball with a round base at either end.

1.5" arm was over double the cost (£55) versus 1" (£23), so will try a 1" first.

Gone for short arm as suggested.

Will be making up a cardboard template for the fitting.

Next will be a sun screen for the tablet, and the gps as well, both of which were an issue in Portugal.

Cheers

Pete

Next will be a sun screen for the tablet, and the gps as well, both of which were an issue in Portugal.

I found one of those anti glare screen protectors work great on the GPS. I am sure you can get something similar for the Tablet and not loose functionality.

This mount works very well, if you can site it out of sunlight. My Ipad has overheated and turned it's self off. Just something you need to be aware of.

I had that with the iPhone as well, when I left it in the sunlight for too long.

It will be in front of the air vent, can always have that blowing on it.

All bits arrived, now gone to be wrapped for Christmas day !!

Top bit of kit.

The tablet holder is really solid.

Will make up the template for the holder soon and get fitted.

Santa rocks !!

Pics! We need pics! I'm using a mish mash of supports of mine, plus some coat hanger legs and although firm on the road it's a bit wobbly offroad!:icon-biggrin:

u9ysege2.jpg

Ok, not the ram mount, but my other pressie, King Goanna stretcher bed.

A question....have made the template for the bracket - what thickness metal should I use? Is 4mm enough for a tablet?

Metallurgy not my strong point.

Or understanding women, colours, clothes that dont clash, remembering birthdays, anniversaries, listening, being sensitive to others needs, or understanding conversations that are about one thing but apparently are about something else.

But overall, the metallurgy is of more interest, so dont bother with the other stuff, cos I wont understand it.

Pete

Well done Pete,

this must be the best post ever, in the history of the forum. :laughing-rolling:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391865529.790954.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1391865552.087233.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1391865572.792491.jpg
A few pictures of my RAM mount, went for the 1" ball size!
Now to find which is the best Sat-Nav App Tomtom or Gramin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Get the Gramin DEZL, you will not be disappointed.

Back