Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

RAM Mount question for the new iPad3

If I were looking to run a road biased navigation system on the iPad I would give seriouse consideration to one by Garmin. Not because I've used one or even seen one, but simply due to the fact that my current Garmin road bias Sat-Nav is just spot on in so many ways I would bore you listing them I'm sure. I use this in combination with Memory Map on the iPad when away laning for the weekend and IMHO the pairing is a formidable navigation tool. By spending a little time in pre planing before coming away for a weekend and setting pre programmed matching waypoints and co-ordinates between the two aids we managed to hit 20 odd lanes each day. Some thing that would just be almost impossible with paper maps without some pretty seriouse local knowledge over a large area. I'd worry that having both my on road and off road navigation in the one peice of hardware would not be so slick. When using the Garmin to navigate on road between lanes I zoom out on the OS map on the iPad to keep a check the the Sat-Nav is not leading us astray. More importantly though we often jump on an unplanned lane that we can see us passing close to on route to the planned one.

Last edited:
The Garmin does get a good review, standalone sat-Nav or app, I have memory map on ipad as well, but expensive to get all the different areas, have been playing with MotionX, following the below info, to see it is an interested alternative.
http://tlcfaq.com/main/2013/08/motion-x-custom-maps/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use Co-pilot, but not having used anything else, I can't comment other than it works well for me. It cost me €50 when I bought it 2 yrs ago and I've installed the free upgrades over time.

Any one else using it on this forum? Reviews?

I've got a Google Nexus 7 in an Aegis case, so it's pretty much 5"x8" and I've got this Arkon mount that holds it perfectly, at a lot less than the RAM Mount was going to be.

Got a longer 8.8 bolt to replace the original bolt on the RH seat mount that the Arkon is now bolted into (If I bolt something in I want at least the same length thread as was already there).

1797395_10152238589270856_1462109746_n.jpg

The mounting bracket has a number of holes in it so that you can mount it at 90* to the bolt slot/floor, even if it's at an angle.

1625530_10152238589325856_1719178823_n.jpg

1779226_10152238589415856_335440531_n.jpg

1625542_10152238589555856_1864166941_n.jpg

It does limit forward motion of the seat, but it's not the end of the world as we pretty much use the car as 2 seater.

I've not had a chance to take it anywhere at the moment, but it seems pretty soild (and the flexible arm needs a bit of force to flex it) and has a good degree of flexibility in term of gripping the tablet.

1907967_10152238589795856_1229876996_n.jpg

1901796_10152238589900856_1521897620_n.jpg

I'll keep people up to date on it over time. The GF has found her phone fits perfectly so she uses it all the time in the car now!

I'll run Memory Map 1:250k of Australia on it, and if I end up back in the UK I already have South and Central England and Wales on Memory Map.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I use Tom Tom for android on my 10inch tablet which is very good, haven't tried garmin but have used Garmin satnavs in the past. none could match my original 2610!! I particularly liked the way you could map a route on the pC first and then download it, handy for complex routes with lots of detours, but these days no one seems to offer that. I also liked the way that on North up as you approached a junction it would flip to a detail shot of the junction orientated to direction of travel. Again, no one seems to do that now. went off Garmin because the three satnavs I have had since the 2610 have packed up after about 18months.

I have the tablet mounted on a suction cup windscreen mount, which does tend to wobble a bit. I don't think it is robust enough for a 10inch tablet. Once I get the cruiser back I'll be swapping to one that will fix to the passenger grab rail on the dash with a double mount.

Thats exactly what I did - cardboard, then 3mm steel, which is being powder coated as we write.

At long last......
aqetymy5.jpg
na9a9edy.jpg

Very pleased.

Only taken 2 years!

The diamond bases are def the way to go, held on by 3 or 4 nuts, rock solid.

pete where did you get the ram parts from please?

just as an asside, be carefull how you mount accessories like this in relation to airbags, or you will end up wearing IPAD false teeth!. some of these look pretty close to the airbag area, although it may just be the angle of the piccies.

I mounted it lower than originally intended for that very reason - in the photo the mount is fitted to the centre of the the tablet, whereas it will be permanently fitted at the top of the tablet, this lowers the tablet a further 2inch.

Stu - I ordered them off the ram-mount own website. At the Emergency Services Show at NEC there are lots of companies selling them. I may but a longer arm as well hust to have a selection.

Sorry, answer not clear! The photo with the tablet shows the stand about 2" higher than the photo without the tablet, its just not obvious in the photos.

................. At the Emergency Services Show at NEC there are lots of companies selling them...................
I was at the ESS last year and am intending on going again this year, are you?

I don't get back from Portugal until the 25th so think I will miss it.

It was good last year, but the motorway afterwards was truly awful.

What were you doing there?

Ah, I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you :icon-smile: :icon-wink:

For the last three years or more I've been volunteering my time (sometimes up to 180Hrs a month) to respond for the local Ambulance Trust as a Community First Responder. Responding to any appropriate 999 calls that demand an eight minute response from the 999 call origin time. Such as Difficulty in Breathing, Asthma, Allergic reaction including Anaphylaxis, Fitting, Unresponsive, Stroke, Heart Attack and Cardiac Arrest. Somewhere along the way I've ended up becoming the Co-ordinator for our group and responsible for making sure that training is delivered each month to the rest of the group! Last month was a refresher of Heat & Cold Exposure, but this month will be all new as we are about to deliver Paediatric training to our members followed by an assessment by an outside assessor. This will then give us the skills to respond to children from the age of two to the age of seven. Currently we only respond to people eight years of age and over.

Because of this I get the honour of being able to go along to the Emergency Services Show each year and look at all the Blue Flashing Lights, Wig-Wags, latest satellite coms, unmanned drones, shiny shiny emergency service vehicles the RAM Mount Stand, Oh and all of the latest First Response Medical Equipment of course :whistle: :icon-smile:

Interestingly 4x4 Response have a stand there, so I guess if you are a member of that group you should be able to get tickets for the show via them :think: :icon-question:

http://www.emergencyuk.com/page.cfm/Action=Exhib/ExhibID=807/loadSearch=45603_492

Last edited:
Back