Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

RedBull Stratos...Felix Baumgartner.... FreeFall

Bat21

Supporter
Country Flag
morocco
Did anyone else watch this live earlier?

2 and a half hours to get up there and 6 minutes to come down, edge of the seat moment when he jumped and almost brought a tear to my eye.... absolutely awesome :clap:

He broke the highest manned balloon, the highest jump, and the fastest decent, but I guess he missed Mach 1 that was his target. Brave guy, no guarantees how that was going to end...:clap:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Very impressive jump I must say. Just a bit worrying all the incorrect information he was getting from the support people.

Very impressive jump I must say. Just a bit worrying all the incorrect information he was getting from the support people.
I was surprised by that too, almost everything they were telling him was wrong!

Anyway I correct the record thingy... "Austrian Felix Baumgartner has become the first skydiver to go faster than the speed of sound, reaching a top speed of 833.9mph (1,342km/h)", I thought he hadn't made it.

Bravo!

Great wasnt it? Would I jump out ? No way Pedro!!!!!
Well done Felix
Steve

Now that's a point.

It's like you both getting to the bungy jump point, and you saying " I don't want to go".

After spending teh family fortune, I think you "have" to go,

Gra.

That was very impressive. :icon-cool:

However IMHO goes to highlight the achievements 50 years ago of Col Joe Kittinger even more. H&S would never allow some of the things that were done back then......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Kittinger

Kittinger's first high-altitude jump, from about 76,400 feet (23,300 m) on November 16, 1959, was a near-disaster when an equipment malfunction caused him to lose consciousness. The automatic parachute opener in his equipment saved his life. He went into a flat spin at a rotational velocity of about 120 rpm. The g-forces at his extremities have been calculated to be over 22 times the force of gravity, setting another record.

Excelsior II : On December 11, 1959, he jumped again from about 74,700 feet (22,800 m). For that leap, Kittinger was awarded the A. Leo Stevens Parachute Medal.

Kittinger's then record-breaking skydive from Excelsior III On August 16, 1960, he made the final jump, from the Excelsior III, at 102,800 feet (31,300 m). Towing a small drogue parachute for initial stabilization, he fell for 4 minutes and 36 seconds, reaching a maximum speed of 614 miles per hour (988 km/h) before opening his parachute at 18,000 feet (5,500 m). Pressurization for his right glove malfunctioned during the ascent, and his right hand swelled to twice its normal size. Ignoring the pain, he rode the balloon up to 102,800 feet and said a short prayer — “Lord, take care of me now” — before stepping off.

:clap:

What happened to the balloon and capsule used yesterday?? Off on its own somewhere? Space junk?? Or has it been vented and allowed to drop into the sea somewhere?

Back