Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

So - what has gone wrong on your 120??

Gary Stockton

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
zimbabwe
I was sitting last night fuming about the service issues (see separate thread ...) and decided to list all I can remeber that's gone wrong on my 120. then when I saw the list I started to wonder who has had what issues ...

So - starter for 10:

• Centre diff failed to engage - new actuator installed (warranty)
    DVD Screen in headrest bust - replaced under warranty
    ICE DVD player packed up - replaced under warranty
    Rear auxilliary 12v power socket no workee - repaired under warranty
    Both front brake calipers replaced under warranty
    Aircon magnetic clutch replaced - 5 times now - all under warranty (something seriously not right there ...)
    Aircon pipes replaced twice - under warranty
    Injector assembly (seals etc.) all replaced under warranty
    Steering bushes replaced under warranty
    Rear air supension ride height sensor failure - replaced under warranty
    Still to do - steering bushes
    Track rods to be replaced
    Front off-side wheel bearing to be replaced
    Rust under bonnet in inter-cooler area - awaiting a response from Mr T
    Rims replaced under warranty due to corrosion (before I took delivery)
    Rear transfer case oil seal - replaced under warranty

I'm sure there's other stuff, but can't remember it right now. When I look at it all and figure out the cost, I'm very glad of the warranty. But I'm wondering if I should sell the 120 on after getting it back into a 'standard' configuration ... :lol: and buy a 100 series. Oh - wait - 100 series has suspension and steering wheel motor issues, plus gearbox issues if it's an older one - oo-er -what to do??? :roll: :lol: :lol:

So then - what's gone wrong on your 120??

Front calipers
Aircon relay
Water pump
Batteries

Changed injector washers as a preventative measure and a few self inflicted bits

might put the 120 in a bad light? :think: Like the exploding engines, there are a few amongst a lot of perfectly fine ones?

//sorry, just defending a bit here :violin:

Not much actually replaced as faulty, but here's my list:

Alloys replaced due to corrosion (warranty)
Water pump due to coollant leaking

Seems I may have been luck and got a good 'un (as I touch some wood)!!!

Outside of servicing nothing done to mine in 116K miles :D

Fingures crossed it stays that way.

My last 120 was a manual LC3 that had front shocks and a clutch replaced under warentee. so cant complain.

Driver's side window register replaced. Window used to rattle
By now MUST have had injectors replaced. I had this issue long before it became 'popular' but people just kept telling me that diesels were noisy. Right.

Other than that, it was good.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
96 k miles on a 53 plate which i've had 2 yrs.....

alternator (last week :cry: )
air con pipe rubbed through (twice) but not replaced yet
one original battery failed
the alloys were referbed by the dealer when i bought it.
bit of rust under bonnet by intercooler.

so far so good, i consider them wear and tear / minor niggles.

Saying that it's mot time :whistle:

Gary Stockton said:
But I'm wondering if I should sell the 120 on after getting it back into a 'standard' configuration ... :lol: and buy a 100 series. Oh - wait - 100 series has suspension and steering wheel motor issues, plus gearbox issues if it's an older one - oo-er -what to do??? :roll: :lol: :lol:
Just buy a petrol to skip the gearbox problems, or a newer than 2001 stinky diesel if you must :lol: why keep putting off the inevitable :mrgreen:

fast but dim said:
bit of rust under bonnet by intercooler.

Forgot about that... I wonder if this is covered by the paint and body warranty?

Gary Stockton said:
But I'm wondering if I should sell the 120 on after getting it back into a 'standard' configuration ... :lol: and buy a 100 series. Oh - wait - 100 series has suspension and steering wheel motor issues, plus gearbox issues if it's an older one - oo-er -what to do??? :roll: :lol: :lol:

donkey-cart-1.jpg

Will go everywhere :whistle:

In my ownership of a hard worked and very badly maintained LC5 (before me that is):

-one front caliper had been done so I did the other. No warranty for me. :thumbdown: About £250 and a 20min swap.
-one front O/S wheel bearing that had been replaced by a knob resulting in me doing it again, properly. About £140 and half a day labour
-one output shaft seal from the t-box. No big deal: about £13.00 and a couple of hours.

I also replaced a few rear brake pipes 'cause the original twat of an owner reversed it a lot into sea water and corroded it to death. Not Toyo's fault but still cost me £150 in bits and a full days hard dirty work.

Other than then it was a fab machine to own given that it was flogged to death and abused before I got it by a useless pair of good for nothing w*nkers.

Have to say, can't really complain. If I ever get rid of this XC90 I'd have another one in a heartbeat. The only drawback being it's a bit alcoholic by comparison to the tune of about 8mpg!

Easy now, Crispin, I've been biting my tongue holding back on the merits of an 80 :lol:

I've had two of those with no cr@p from either of them - one had a faulty indicator relay though!

But 80s are getting a bit tired now :)

100 series it is then. :thumbup:

Yep 100 series is on my list, i will be skipping the 120 :thumbup: .
Joe

sorry for the hijack

:confusion-confused:

Thanks guys, looks like I'll just give mine a major service and keep it (well uncle Chris maybe :lol: ) and skip the 120 !

I think if you skipped a model of vehicle based on a few issues by a somewhat small yet concentrated group of people, you'd be skipping a lot of vehicles and sticking to the bus. We could gather a list of failures of the 100 series if we wanted to and if the 200 were cheaper and we had more folks using them at Lincomb, P&P days, muddy water etc, we would have a list of issues with those too.

I've had some issues with mine, two are due to poor design (Brake calliper which in turn caused a wheel bearing to start failing) The other issues, of which some I have had a good ol' rant over, have either been wear and tear or not really an issue. The "hysteria" over the injectors has yet to show itself, if it ever will. About to tick over 100k (nautical!) on the clock and it's fine.

I think it is fair to say that, bar a few exceptions (Monday and Friday cars), if a vehicle was kept within it's design specs, it would last long time without any issues. Raising something has to put different stresses on various parts (note, different, not more in my layman head). Wheels spacers etc etc.

It would also be unfair to expect Mr-T to forever make things like the 80 or 70 troopy because, let's be real, there is more of a market for the glitter enthusiast than there is for off-road enthusiast. They have to change their design ideas to suit the market.

Off to what Frozen Planet - What a life I lead :violin:

I did look at the 120 before buying my 100 in the interests of being fair. Found it not suitable for what i wanted but would not have even thought about things like reliability.

Went for the 100 as it was the logical progression from the 80 and fits what i need.

Just found out that the rear transfer case oil seal is also shot. And the magnetic clutch is knackered again!!

I have to wonder what the PO did with the vehicle. I've not abused it mechanically, it doesnt do massive mileage and it does get inspected / maintained as best I can.

Starting to wonder if, as all the issues bar one are at the front if it wasn't in a smash I don't know about and if something is skewed very slightly? Doubt it - just looking for plausible explanations. I don't think Mr T has Monday or Friday cars anymore?

Anyway, I still love my truck, and at least I know it's history now!! Just a tad frustrating. I don't believe that my issues are generic 120 'faults' - I Aldo don't think I do things with the vehicle that could be classed as 'extreme' either. A simple 40mm suspension lift should not cause the problems I have!

Gary Stockton said:
And the magnetic clutch is knackered again!!
They must be putting the wrong shim(s) on it, ask them what size shim(s) they needed for it ;) the wrong size shim(s) will stress the bearing in a direction it's not designed for when the clutch is engaged.

EDIT: shim = 'magnetic clutch washers' in Toyota speak.

Back