Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

solid axles and 3 lockers

I know where your at with this TP because I have the same dilemma , I have absolutely no doubts about the LC80's offroad superiority but for me that's both a positive and a negative . To explain I was going around the forest at Lincomb banging and crashing slipping and sliding avoiding this route because I have a better chance of completing that route and surprising myself because there's no way I just got up there :shock: . At the same time Chris was in the same area in his massive 80 (37 or 38 inch tyres I think it had on it ?) and he was on all the tracks I had to avoid , the way it just rolled over any and all obstacles was truly something to behold :icon-cool: he could have had a mug of tea in his hand while doing it ! While looking at replacing my truck I've played that memory like a video over and over again in my head trying to decide where I would rather have been be it up there flying or down here struggling. Bet you can't guess which I feel is more fun :icon-wink:

It's not quite like that IMO Shayne, but I see where you're coming from.
Truth is, although the 80 is very capable, it's all down to the driving IMO, a 90 in the right hands will beat any pleb pratting about in an 80 hands down. Utoob is full of good examples as you know, there's a very nice vid of an 80 smartly prepared, lifted and well shod, but it's evident that the driver is in full control, calm and giving it just the right throttle, just the right braking, just the right line, using the momentum of the truck precisely and just at the right time when it needs it, all these factors make it look so easy, it's often tempting just to say but it's an 80 it will go anywhere.

I knew nothing about offroad when I got my truck, and it showed. I couldn't understand why all these vids showed what I considered impossible in mine. It was me, being a pleb. So I took to reading up on it, watching the best educational vids, and trying to put it to practice.

Chris will probably easily out-drive me still with all his experience, and his truck has a few advantages over mine, but I feel like I know what I'm doing now, or at the least what I should be doing, even if I'm not so practiced yet. Whatever you drive, there's tons to learn, from the basic do's and don'ts through to the finer aspects of the capability of your truck. Either way, it's fun learning and it's fun doing, even when you've learned.

Nobody is perfect, and no truck is perfect, so the fun never ends... :lol:

I agree absolutely Clive nothing beats skill and experience and I'm glad you pointed out that perspective of it , I'm sure you understand that wasn't the comparison I was trying to make :think: not sure how to clarify my original post ? If I said the more extreme the truck then the more extreme the challenges have to be to get that giggle factor - does that help ?

IIRC G Wagon lockers are hydraulic not electric

I agree absolutely Clive nothing beats skill and experience and I'm glad you pointed out that perspective of it , I'm sure you understand that wasn't the comparison I was trying to make :think: not sure how to clarify my original post ? If I said the more extreme the truck then the more extreme the challenges have to be to get that giggle factor - does that help ?

I did understand the point you made Shayne, and I agreed / agree with you.

I just thought there was a bit more to it as I tried to explain. Only opinions after all.

Actually, I was just trying to remove any reasons you may have for not getting an 80! :lol:

Back