Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Trying to talk my husband into buying this 1990 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado LJ71 Diesel

One thing to bear in mind is you might need to get the underside of the vehicle sealed for winter. Japanese market vehicles don't get exposed to the salt roads in winter. But the good thing is that freshly imported vehicles are relatively rust free.

Thank you all for your comments and advice. We will run a magnet around the body. Husband has a nose for rust. He will crawl all over it like a spider. This is a Japanese import that the seller has owned for 5 years. I suspect HIS wife has told him to sell it to raise cash.

Rust is the killer. We live surrounded by water and high winds that blow in salt and sand. In order to get Collector's plates here the vehicle has to be rust free, original or with original approved modifications.

Vehicles here get hoisted up and undersprayed with stuff called Fluid Film Protector. I also have a gallon of this patented product call Rust Bullet. Might want to look at this some of you. I almost swear by it.

Rust Bullet was used on my dying Pathfinder (but I did not have help and did not get it up in the air). I applied by hand with a paintbrush, like a girl with a mission. There are areas on the body of the Pathfinder that were rusting out which 7 years later show no progression of the erosion. So does it work? I am guessing that it will if applied properly this time around.

I did large research on Rust Bullet. Their website has extensive test results comparing to various other rust proofing (notably Por??? from memory).

Anyway does it work? I am thinking that if you start off with a good surface that it will act as advertised (10 years they say). I just did not get enough coverage on the dead Pathfinder. However (and this is not meant to be a plug and I get nothing from talking about it) I think it does work. Other vehicles here, once they start to go erode very rapidly. (Wheel wells, frames, everywhere). The Pathfinder, where I got the product properly is showing some minor rust bleeding out of seams.

That said. First thing that gets done is we undercoat the entire vehicle frame with this stuff. It is very expensive and a gallon would do 5 vehicles (which I did not know). One you open the can you better have everything you own lined up ready to go. Wheelbarrows, garden tools, cars, etc. It starts drying fast, fast fast. But may benefit some of you folks who actually know what you are doing. (should be thinned and sprayed).

Biggest problem with it is it is an ugly grey colour. If we get this Cruiser I will use it only underneath where not visible. (they also make a coverup paint to go over the Bullet, which tends to flake off).

This is not meant as some plug. Rust freaks me. I will do everything I can muster to prevent it with my new baby.

2L Turbo I have been crawling all over the net looking. I will win no races but I do not need to.

Seems to me your heart is set on it and if its as clean as it looks i can't see what could go wrong from your description of its intended use i would expect any landcruiser to last several hundred years in the same circumstances if you can keep the rust out . Get under it and look for rust , a magnet wrapped in cloth along the cills and wheels arches will reveal if body filler is hiding anything then take it for a drive . The occasional landrovers lover has been converted after 20 minutes in my cruiser so maybe you should aim to convince hubby a test drive can't hurt you are at least a little closer to ownership .

Thank you for the good advice regarding the magnet. Husband is looking to test drive it this weekend. He looked at a 2004 4Runner LTD yesterday. His heart is there. Leather seats and bells and whistles. But even that seller (4Runner) lusted momentarily when told we were looking at the Land Cruiser as well.

Mines a 1998 90 series landcruiser (might be called a Prado in your neck of the woods) I would like to buy a newer truck but nobody sells one better than the one i've got . The Mrs was forced to drive it to work one evening and long story short i ended up having to buy her one as well , hers is a 2001 truck so not as good as mine because evil electrickery in vehicles had become the norm by then . Oh by the way that bullet stuff was a severe plug ...... most on here opt for dinitrol .

Mines a 1998 90 series landcruiser (might be called a Prado in your neck of the woods) I would like to buy a newer truck but nobody sells one better than the one i've got . The Mrs was forced to drive it to work one evening and long story short i ended up having to buy her one as well , hers is a 2001 truck so not as good as mine because evil electrickery in vehicles had become the norm by then . Oh by the way that bullet stuff was a severe plug ...... most on here opt for dinitrol .

I will look in dinitrol. I am willing to try anything to prevent corrosion. I truly did not mean to plug a product. I get no gain from it. Just that rust is our no.1 enemy in trying to keep a vehicle for many years.

dinitrol? I am doing a web search and looking. This R Bullet just bears looking into for anyone interested in something that has a remote possibility of working.

However washing and waxing and seriously keeping the underside clean at all times goes the longest way.

Did not mean to offend.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Thank you for this Dinitrol info. I spent some time looking at it. Looked at an application to a Land Rover step by step. I can see why it is used. I think may not be available in N America. Never heard of it. POR50? seems to be and that does not address what I see dinitrol doing. Kick butt.

I think the idea behind R. Bullet piggybacks on Dinitrol to some degree but does not address the full spectrum of places that corrode. Your advice is well noted. So you tell my the full dinitrol treatment (with all the products being applied in all the nooks and crannies) works????? I am on it.

Welcome Zooey my Landcruiser was a 2.4 originally one thing to check is make sure radiator and heater matrix is in top working order and not full of crap also make sure the pink anti freeze goes in it if I'm correct as the green eat ms ally heads

Apologies for not commenting on this thread sooner, I dont seem to get on here as much anymore. :oops:

The LJ70 your looking at looks great! :icon-biggrin:

They are awesome trucks and will go forever if you keep the rust away. Look for rust at the bottom of the B pillars when you open the driver and passenger door. Along the bottoms of all the doors. Below the windscreen and around all wheel arches.

Before starting the engine check under the bonnet to make sure the engine is cold, Check the oil and unscrew the oil cap and look inside the cap for any signs of mayonaise which could indicate a blown head gasket/cracked head. Then when it is started check to see what the smoke looks like on start up and how easily it starts.

Check underneath for any signs of oil/fluid leaks.

Check all switches/electrics are working correctly including electric windows, central locking, lights, horn etc. Check what condition the upholstery is in, in particular the head lining as they tend to sag on most 70s'.

Finding minor issues might help you haggle the price down a bit.

Good luck. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Welcome Zooey my Landcruiser was a 2.4 originally one thing to check is make sure radiator and heater matrix is in top working order and not full of crap also make sure the pink anti freeze goes in it if I'm correct as the green eat ms ally heads

I am writing all this good advice down. Thank you so much.

Apologies for not commenting on this thread sooner, I dont seem to get on here as much anymore. :oops:

The LJ70 your looking at looks great! :icon-biggrin:

They are awesome trucks and will go forever if you keep the rust away. Look for rust at the bottom of the B pillars when you open the driver and passenger door. Along the bottoms of all the doors. Below the windscreen and around all wheel arches.

Before starting the engine check under the bonnet to make sure the engine is cold, Check the oil and unscrew the oil cap and look inside the cap for any signs of mayonaise which could indicate a blown head gasket/cracked head. Then when it is started check to see what the smoke looks like on start up and how easily it starts.

Check underneath for any signs of oil/fluid leaks.

Check all switches/electrics are working correctly including electric windows, central locking, lights, horn etc. Check what condition the upholstery is in, in particular the head lining as they tend to sag on most 70s'.

Finding minor issues might help you haggle the price down a bit.

Good luck. :thumbup:

Bless you Ben. All this advice will be followed.

Seems to me your heart is set on it and if its as clean as it looks i can't see what could go wrong from your description of its intended use i would expect any landcruiser to last several hundred years in the same circumstances if you can keep the rust out . Get under it and look for rust , a magnet wrapped in cloth along the cills and wheels arches will reveal if body filler is hiding anything then take it for a drive . The occasional landrovers lover has been converted after 20 minutes in my cruiser so maybe you should aim to convince hubby a test drive can't hurt you are at least a little closer to ownership .

I will do this. Thank you.

Magnet idea was great.

Test drive should be Saturday.

Seller sent me pictures of labels. Was made in the Araco Plant? He seems to think this was a very big selling point. Photo of the VIN etc.

Here is a link with all kinds of pictures.....

http://kelowna.craigslist.ca/cto/5170777723.html

I am 1500 km. away so husband has do the driving and deciding. Fingers crossed. If there is something wrong with the deal he will find it. And we buy a 2004 4Runner he likes.....

I am endlessly appreciative for all your collective advice.

image.jpgZoey is the huntaway.Vincent is the schnauzer and introducing the pair is my darling wife Margaret
there could well be a similar scene with Zooey,the 71 and her beloved husband.

Looks an honest car to me everything looks just a little worn which means nothing has been replaced and that has to be a good sign . Makes me wonder if it has an EGR because if it does and its been driven like its condition suggests some egr cleaner spray into the intake will likely give the engine a new lease of life .

Iwan will probably know if it should have an egr but he is probably crying under a blanket somewhere because he doesn't live in Canada :lol:

Last edited:
My baby sister lives in NZ. I think is trying to become a citizen. Nice gal.

I've had a fair few 70 series European trucks and can safely say that I completely love them! I've got an import body of the same age and specifications as the one that you are looking at. It's the best condition out of the 4 keepers that I have ! So there's a few down falls with the 71's in this respect. As they were made for the JDM market they werent sealed as well on the underside from my experience. The Japanese trucks were intended to be used for a limited amount of years. Due to emissions. .

So as I look at your pic of the lj71. Its in nice looking condition.

If you look in the back doors lift the rear boot carpet by where the jack is stored.and the opposite side same area . Is there any sign of rust bubbling in the paint on the boot floor? Then check the underside directly underneath on the other side of the rear plastic bumper corner to see if it is corroded there by the side of the exhaust. A classic rust point. Check around the rear wheel arches to see if it has corrosion there.

A good way to judge how "well" it is by when it was imported. . My gold/brown left Japan in 2005.. so pretty good. . But my kzj71 was exported in 1999 so not so well off rust wise!

These are highly modifiable trucks so dont worry too much about the engine performance as it can be upgraded. . In my opinion its all about how solid the body is. Imports are generally better speced trucks .. more comfortable with better seats and electics. They all have the bigger better braking systems so winner there..

If its solid I'd say Go for it! Be good to spend a bit getting it fully undersealed and to waxoil the cavities. .

Good luck with it. . Once you have one you will not regret it :thumbup:

View attachment 21430Zoey is the huntaway.Vincent is the schnauzer and introducing the pair is my darling wife Margaret
there could well be a similar scene with Zooey,the 71 and her beloved husband.

Funny thing that made my day. I wish for this vehicle to be the lasting vehicle that takes my pups to the beach daily. So for love of my dogs, my husband; I want a kick ass reliable vehicle to keep them happy. Plus and plus and plus I have a smallish desire for it myself. Sis lives in NZ. Got a brother? Way fluffier than me.

Back