Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Uj's, Cv's or wind up

There is a definite difference I can feel when the centre is locked and when it is not .. I don't have a separate cdl switch like some of you do, I have to shift into low box to get the centre to lock. .. I have been driving today in hi box so centre is unlocked. .. as I say .. I can feel a definite difference between locked and unlocked in the centre. ..

next question I suppose ...... how easy is it to get at the vc (assuming it's that that's seized) ... and would that contribute to the failing cv ??

If the VC is at fault you would have what amounts to permanent transmission wind up. The entire drive train would be under tension so it's logical to assume the weakest link will break if the strain is high enough. From what I've read on here and other sites it's a relatively easy job to remove the VC as it sits in the rear of the Xfer case so you can leave the box in situ. I think Chris is your man here 'cos Im sure he's done it. If you ring Mr T for the price of a new one make sure you're sitting down, they're very expensive, well into 4 figures as I recall.

VSC removal is easy and I've done it on mine. Car drives without it. If you have no drive it proves it's faulty.

If the VC is at fault you would have what amounts to permanent transmission wind up. The entire drive train would be under tension so it's logical to assume the weakest link will break if the strain is high enough. From what I've read on here and other sites it's a relatively easy job to remove the VC as it sits in the rear of the Xfer case so you can leave the box in situ. I think Chris is your man here 'cos Im sure he's done it. If you ring Mr T for the price of a new one make sure you're sitting down, they're very expensive, well into 4 figures as I recall.

I'm not sure I understand why if the VC is faulty there will be transmission wind up, is there not a centre differential as well that will make all the adjustments automatically between the axles? If the VC can be removed and the vehicle run without it then the CD must be independent from the VC?
I might be wrong on this but cant get my head round it somehow.

Andy

The VSC and dif run in parallel so if the dif spins so does the VSC but the VSC has resistance. If you jack one wheel off the ground and try and turn it it's quit stiff due to the VSC. When I took my VSC out you could turn one wheal easily as you were only rotating the dif not both. Then you have the dif lock of course and if that is locked you can't turn a wheel. If the VSC is seized it will be like a diff lock and create damage. incidentally I put my VSC back as the ABS did not seem to work very well.

PS The vsc is like a giant gripping the front and rear props but he's not quite strong enough to keep them at the same speed and they slip. The giant is in parallel with the centre dif.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ah right, that answers it, its in parallel with the centre diff and provides resistance to it working freely. Without knowing it was in parallel I couldn't quite figure it out.
Thanks for that Frank.

Andy

Back