Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wheeler Dealers - Expedition Discovery

Whilst we're on the subject, have you seen 'The Garage'. My God. It's an English garage in Spain. I wouldn't let them pump up the tyres on my push bike.

They had a Jeep in the air, in gear and running. Their 4x4 expert couldn't understand why all the wheels weren't going round! It's just disaster after disaster. I can't understand why they haven't been sued out of existence. Unless of course it's not all real .........
That jock fella should really be shot with balls of his own shite....lol

Last edited:
Agreed. He's a tw@t of the highest order. If that vote goes through presumably he won't be able to call his business English Mechanics any more?

I don't see the problem with wheeler dealers, it's very realistic and just like being at work..... sales buy cars for more then they'll admit, spend a fortune putting it right, then we sell it for more then we bought it for and seem to forget the cost in the middle :lol: :lol:

Seized bolts etc, nah everything is straight forwards and never goes wrong lol.

Interesting thread...

1. "Truth" in TV - yeah, right.

2. Reality check - any time you have good, solid experience in a subject TV and Films will generally come across as bullsh1t. My missus has got fed up of the number of times I get grumpy about completely bloody stupid scuba diving scenes, for example. Basically most stuff on TV is crap if you understand the subject, from politics, to finance, to vehicle preparation.

3. WD - Ed's okay, I guess, Brewer is a complete and utter twonk - but the show is no better or worse than any other in the same ilk. Take it as entertainment, no more or less.

4. Now if we're talking crap car shows, did anyone catch that "Jeep too far" thing a while back...

:whistle:

Interesting thread...

1. "Truth" in TV - yeah, right.

2. Reality check - any time you have good, solid experience in a subject TV and Films will generally come across as bullsh1t. My missus has got fed up of the number of times I get grumpy about completely bloody stupid scuba diving scenes, for example. Basically most stuff on TV is crap if you understand the subject, from politics, to finance, to vehicle preparation.

3. WD - Ed's okay, I guess, Brewer is a complete and utter twonk - but the show is no better or worse than any other in the same ilk. Take it as entertainment, no more or less.

4. Now if we're talking crap car shows, did anyone catch that "Jeep too far" thing a while back...

:whistle:

yep, same as the press, soon as you see something you know about you realise what uneducated bollocks they spout. Don't even get me started on medical programs!!

I watched the film 'Sniper - legacy' the other day. It begins with shots of some super shooter making their own ammunition. Well if there were any other ways to make more inaccurate ammunition, they missed a trick I can tell you. I was howling at the screen. But people think that this stuff is real and that things like Dum Dums actually exist.

Just what CAN you believe nowadays

just the small matter of the Geneva convention to consider, which regulates the manufacture and type of rounds that can be used (dum dums are illegal BTW!)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Quite right too people should shoot each other with civilized bullets :lol:

GC does not regulate the type of ammunition that may be manufactured. Used in warfare maybe, but it can't regulate what is manufactured. Clearly as you can buy it straight off the shelf in any gun shop.

Dum dums are just nonsense. It's not a term that actually exists in ammunition. It was coined somewhere around the late 1800's but isn't a formal description. All bullets expand, the difference is that some bullets are actually designed to expand in a controlled way. I use these predominately. The bullets in the titles of sniper 4 were solid, not even soft point and the guy had them in a lathe shaping them with emery cloth!

The two NATO rounds 5.56 and 7.62 (.223 and .308 in civilian versions) are full copper jackets (some are actually steel). They still expand and they break up too, but also tumble causing massive trauma. There really isn't such a thing as a kind bullet.

The ridiculous footnote to this is that there are two sorts of hollow point bullets. Those designed to expand in a controlled way and those where the hollow section is there to dynamically balance the bullet in flight for greater accuracy. One is restricted in the UK on your FAC and the other isn't. However, they both expand in exactly the same way. I'm saying nothing about which is used to make sniper ammunition more accurate. Convention you say? Oh really.

watched another film the other day and the chap fired 14 bullets from a 6 shoter, then shot 21 from a colt 45 which i think has 7 or 8 in the mag.

Ha ha, yes that's the sort of thing. Like a Disco with an intact rear floor pan.

BTW some of the wide bodied .45 ACP hold 15. But not 21 for sure.

its was not the wide bodied one.

Your right about the disco floor pan. The jap import ones are meant to be good and rust free.

Isn't it daft that they are all made in the same factory, but in order to get a good one you have to send it out of the country and bring it back again :wtf:

yes agree. I dont really understand the rust free from Japan as surly they have the same kind of salty sea air we get here so that is a problem with cars around the coast.

If you look at cars for sale in durban which they dont salt the roads round there they can be very rust its hot and humid must like i would ahve thought it can be like in Japan.

I could be barking up the wrong tree.

Stu, it could be something as simple as having car washes with underbody / chassis facility. It's not water that is the problem as you say, it's salt. If we all cleaned the undersides from new cars would last a lot longer I'm sure.

might be a good call that chris. the PPo of mine sprayed oil under the car every 2 weeks and i have to say there is some rust on axle bits but everything comes undone so easily. even the reat spring mounts were easy.

just amazing.

The Japanese don't use salt on roads in winter, they use volcanic ash and as they have over 100 active it's not in short supply, I have seen some very rusty vehicles going through auctions but these seem to be mainly from coastal areas, and all of the Hilux Surfs that I have imported have had the chassis steam cleaned, never had a rusty one.

Quite right too people should shoot each other with civilized bullets :lol:
essentially, yes, that's exactly it, same as the design of bayonets and all weapons manufactured for military use (as against the civilian type which is what chris is talking about. The conventions don't have anything to do with the manufacture of civilian weapons, I presumed the OP was specifically about military snipers.) has to adhere to the Geneva, or more accurately, Hague, conventions. The weapon is supposed to do the minimum amount of damage to achieve it's objective, and should be specifically targeted to the objective, not indiscriminate (like mines). For example, the edge of a bayonet is blunt. if you sharpen the edge of your bayonet, you have designed an illegal weapon. It's design, as a stabbing weapon, not a cutting weapon, is defined by the conventions. I'm very familiar with the mechanism of what happens when bullets hit flesh, it was my job for 23 years to deal with the consequences. the head on what is generally called a 'dum dum' bullet spreads on impact, causing significantly more damage than a conventional round.As Chris says, as a conventional round hits the target it will start to rotate backwards but in a high velocity round it's not the bullet that really causes the damage, it's partly the bullet, a lot by the shockwave which kills all soft tissue around it, and the bits of bone and debris dragged in by the round and that splinter off as the bullet ricochets off your bones.

Last edited:
Problem is that terminal ballistics just isn't an exact science. Ballistics is. Gravity, mass, velocity yadda yadda. But impact? You can put loads of work into how a bullet is supposed to behave, but there are so many variables when you take the shot that you can really only express the outcome in terms of averages. I have shot (and killed) a lot of things and could I describe a typical impact? Not really. I have shot stags with a 7mm that had almost no signs of impact, entry or exit. I mean plop, dropped on the spot at 200m still with a mouthful of grass. But inside was soup. I've shot other animals that ran on, but when recovered where almost cut in two. It doesn't matter how good a shot you are, you cannot account for what happens when the bullet strikes. So really to a degree what the GC or more accurately as Moggy say the Hague convention requires is frankly pretty random. It's not the strike that counts it's the intent. Dum Dum though really is not a phrase recognised by people who shoot. It was the name of an ammunition manufacturing facility near Calcutta where the .303 British was produced. It sort of passed into folk law as it were. You have hollow point, spire point, round nosed, full metal jacket, boat tail, wad cutter, semi jacketed and many more. No one anywhere in any shape or configuration sells a Dum Dum. It was a case of "Those new bullets from Dum Dum" Rather then "These new Dum Dum bullets" I'm afraid. I have records but couldn't possibly count the number of rounds I have loaded but it runs in the tens of thousands; I used to shoot between 200 and 300 hundred rounds per week at one point. You can produce a consistent point of impact but after that the bullet really does what it wants. Here's a group shot at 100 meters. approx a 20p piece. There are 15 rounds in there. Where they went after that is anyone's guess.

P1010599.JPG

Problem is that terminal ballistics just isn't an exact science. Ballistics is. Gravity, mass, velocity yadda yadda. But impact? You can put loads of work into how a bullet is supposed to behave, but there are so many variables when you take the shot that you can really only express the outcome in terms of averages. I have shot (and killed) a lot of things and could I describe a typical impact? Not really. I have shot stags with a 7mm that had almost no signs of impact, entry or exit. I mean plop, dropped on the spot at 200m still with a mouthful of grass. But inside was soup. I've shot other animals that ran on, but when recovered where almost cut in two. It doesn't matter how good a shot you are, you cannot account for what happens when the bullet strikes. So really to a degree what the GC or more accurately as Moggy say the Hague convention requires is frankly pretty random. It's not the strike that counts it's the intent. Dum Dum though really is not a phrase recognised by people who shoot. It was the name of an ammunition manufacturing facility near Calcutta where the .303 British was produced. It sort of passed into folk law as it were. You have hollow point, spire point, round nosed, full metal jacket, boat tail, wad cutter, semi jacketed and many more. No one anywhere in any shape or configuration sells a Dum Dum. It was a case of "Those new bullets from Dum Dum" Rather then "These new Dum Dum bullets" I'm afraid. I have records but couldn't possibly count the number of rounds I have loaded but it runs in the tens of thousands; I used to shoot between 200 and 300 hundred rounds per week at one point. You can produce a consistent point of impact but after that the bullet really does what it wants. Here's a group shot at 100 meters. approx a 20p piece. There are 15 rounds in there. Where they went after that is anyone's guess.

View attachment 15359

Wow! thats some group at 100m I wish I could do that at 25m! Need more practice.
Any of you guys know a lot about pistols/revolvers? Split between a .38 or .357 mag. I Am I right in thinking you can shoot .38 with a .357 but not the other way around? Thinking Wad cutters....and a few FMJ ....Just waiting for my Permit to come through, then its off shopping I will go!

I have shot a 357 mag a fair bit really nice to use. I am not a fan of the 6 shooter type pistols though. Find them harder to use heavy and slow to reload. Depends what you want it for. My money will be going on a glock .40 they are the best i have shot. At 20m 3 shots like a clover leaf. Sorry no picture.

Back