Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Whisky Drinkers... help needed

Olazz

Country Flag
zimbabwe
Guys a good buddy of mine turns 50 this weekend and he is a Whisky drinker. I'd like to get him a bottle of something decent. I know nothing about Whisky so would welcome any sensible suggestions.

Happy to fork out up to £500 for a bottle.

Any ideas??

I'd suggest two things: find out if your friend has any preference for particular features of a whisky, such as whether it is peaty or matured in a specific cask like port/rum/sherry; and take a look at the award winning whiskies, such as the whisky bible awards and the world whisky awards.

Do you need any more mates? :)
As said, find out his preferences, me, I like a nice peaty one with a hint of iodine...... Some of the Jura's are yummy

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

I had a belly full of Old Mull last time I visited up north.

Can't really recommend it, but it's my one and only brush with whisky I'm afraid.

Not much help with your quest for excellence... Sorry :oops: Hic

Lorin nailed that really. You really do need to find out what sort of whisky they have a preference for. There is a huge spectrum and I would be suspicious of anyone who said they liked anything. For one, I can't go near the Islay malts. I have given bottles away and that is bloody serious. But Speysides, Lowlands etc, I could drink by the pint. Malts tend to ramp up vertically in intensity unlike wines which are very broad and different. Typically people reach a point with whisky where they stop. Below that point anything is usually acceptable but above isn't. Most whisky drinkers don't have a band as such within that range.

It'd be odd to be able to drink Laphroaig but not touch Glenrothes

Don't be fooled by the age of whisky either. A 50 year old malt would be nice for a 50th. But beware. A malt bottled 50 years ago (1964) is NOT a 50 year old malt. Not unless it was 50 years old when it went into the bottle. So you could have a dram bottled today that is 50 years old as it went into the cask in 1964. Some whisky retailers we'll call them rely on people not really knowing that. Summary - whisky stops ageing when it comes out of the cask.

The other point to consider is that as a real devotee, he may not be able to bring himself to open a £500 bottle. Unless he's a total lush then he will, add a drop of ginger ale and neck the lot.

I would appreciate a well chosen bottle of something I liked over a very expensive one I didn't.

He's a lucky fella whatever he gets. Unless it's Glenfidich of course.

Father-in-law swears by Glenfarclas. But all comments above stand. Personally, give me a decent red any day... :whistle:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks guys, yep I knew it would be complicated.. I don't need to spend £500, but my original idea of a 50yr old old bottle rapidly fell by the wheyside(sic) when I saw the prices!!!

I do know that he is a "Speyside" devotee and he would be very pleased with a bottle of his passion. I know he has spent more than £500 on a bottle to drink, so it won't be wasted.

And price wise that's about right. A 50 year old bottle is around £100, a 50 years old whisky is about £500.

Might I recommend this site. It has a really good search filter on the left and as whisky prices go, I'd say pretty fair. I'd buy from them. There are some very nice bottles. Good descriptions too. I could suggest picking something rare, maybe a distillery that is closed for example. I also thinkk that distillary bottled might be nice too.

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/C-314.aspx#price

Ignore the bottles on that first page, that's just supermarket stuff.

I've got a bottle of Balvennie 18yo Portwood which is very nice; I'll be opening it at the end of June when I'm back in the UK for my wedding, and celebrating finishing uni (again). I got that for my 30th a couple of years ago, currently it's sitting nice and cool in an esky in the garage at my parents.

Just remember, much as Chris has said, that a x years aged whisky is different to a x years old whisky. An x years aged whisky will generally be more expensive because there is less in the cask care of the Angel's Share.

I have a Glenmorangie Madeira wood sitting in my nuclear bunker. Come the apoxylipse I shall grab that and the pump action
What more do I need?

i have a 1973, 38yr old Glenlivet bottled a couple yrs ago, sitting in cupboard waiting for a good excuse to sample it
got it for my 40th,

however, if i was to spend £500 on malts, i would get 10x £50 bottles :)

The Islay malts are not all the same, I quite like the Ardbeg and Bruichladdich, much smoother than laphroaig

but mainly i prefer speyside, probably becuase i lived in speyside for quite a few years and went to school in Aberlour - the air was full of "marmite" smell from the distillerys!

Last edited:
Andy, I am on my way. Get the glasses out. My birthday on Tuesday, I should be there by then...

Picking whisky is like picking women, all different, all good, well any whisky is better than no whisky, but some are definitely easier to live with than others!

I am with Andy C here £500 is very generous, but get a mixed case that will be much more fun than a single bottle, it all comes out the body the same way!

I rather think the £500 was a budget not a target lads.

I am sorry to say though that I can't agree with any whisky is better than no whisky. I wish it were but I have been given bottles that I have run out of things to mix it with to try and get it down. Those strong iodine malts - nope sorry, I have tried and honestly I'd rather drink white wine. Yes, you heard it here first. ME? Drink white wine? Yes if they were the two options.

I realise that this means I shall be stopped at the border next time I go North (which was supposed to be tonight actually) but there are limits to what even yours truly will drink.

Andrew - I thought you were going to say drinking whisky is like making love to a beautiful woman

First you run your hands up and down her curves before getting her top off and having a good sniff....

Andy, I am on my way. Get the glasses out. My birthday on Tuesday, I should be there by then...

:icon-biggrin:

too late, i am off to Grantown-on-Spey for a few days

skiing, shooting and drinking whisky :icon-cool:

B'stard

Make sure you have your helmet on and watch out for rocks.

rocks ! the ski lifts are buried in Scotland!

image.jpg

Did I mention I have a bottle of Jura in the back of the truck for this weekends Yorkshire trip?

Back