Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 pickup

Mud_dog

Hi all, have been lurking on here for a while now and read most topics to do with 80's and bens epic build thread on his 70!

Anyways am considering buying an 80 but it's got to be different, I only do different as I am no sheep lol

Feed up with the land rovers so I am thinking about an 80 pick up, I don't want to cut the chassis in any way, just cab it and make the rest of the body work into a pick up, my question is (after a lot of head scraping and different answers from different people) do I need a sva test if I have only touched the body work ? I only have a rrc that was logged on the log book as a 2door pickup and I would like to do the same for the lc, thanks in advance if your able to help!

Chris:icon-cool:

Last edited:
A friend of mine has a pick up'd RRC,with standard length chassis. He has changed the V5 and was told he only needed SVA if he modified the chassis.
Bit of a 'grey' area though I'd imagine?

Glad you enjoyed my thread Chris. :thumbup:

There was a chap on Difflock building one, but I dont think he finished it.

http://forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php?t=46077&highlight=

Is that you who was the last to comment?

mud_dog mud_puppy very similar user names. :think:

When I was last in OZ, one of the lads I worked with used to give me a lift to and from work in his 80 series tray back. :icon-cool:

Wish I'd got a pic of it because it looked awesome! :clap:

Very practical aswell. Last I saw of it hed made another hoop for the very back and had had a canvas made to go over from the hoop at the very back of the tray to the hoop behind the cab.
He was planning on a big trip round OZ and was planning on sleeping in the back. :icon-biggrin:

It was also running 33" BFG mud's, ARB lockers front and back, snorkel, and ARB bull bar. It looked seriously cool! :dance:

Yes it is a bit of a grey area , but I am thinking that if it's changed on the log book and it's insured as a pick up , then hopefully I shouldn't have any problems as I think I have done what I can,

Thie slee off road one I like a lot and if I am honest , that's the one that makes me want to do this, that slee site in general is a great place of inspiration !

Looking at doing the same myself soon Chris. Or starting it anyway. Got a truck ready as the base starting point. Look forward to watching your build

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Lol yes Ben both were me, for some strange reason I had issues relogging back on after they did some sort of update to this forum, I had to email admin to sort it out, didn't get a reply but I followed the on screen instrutions and it told me to reset my user name and password, I did this and then after the update it would only let me log in with my old one! I am not great with computers so it might of been my fault, sorry for the confusion!:oops:

Yes it is a bit of a grey area , but I am thinking that if it's changed on the log book and it's insured as a pick up , then hopefully I shouldn't have any problems as I think I have done what I can,
That's exactly what my mate's working on,he did ask and was told as long as the chassis is original he can do what he likes. He did provide photo's and an engineers report. It came about as his insurance co didnt like the discrepancy between the v5 and what he said it was. Everyone seems to be happy now though!

That's exactly what my mate's working on,he did ask and was told as long as the chassis is original he can do what he likes. He did provide photo's and an engineers report. It came about as his insurance co didnt like the discrepancy between the v5 and what he said it was. Everyone seems to be happy now though!

Well I am glad other people are thinking along the same lines as me ,

Oh and Ben....... That took the best part of 3 weeks of evenings reading the whole thread, the mrs was pleased when I got to the end as she said I might actually listen to what she was saying to me rather than the occasional " yes dear!" lol

Oh and Ben....... That took the best part of 3 weeks of evenings reading the whole thread, the mrs was pleased when I got to the end as she said I might actually listen to what she was saying to me rather than the occasional " yes dear!" lol

It wasnt just me then!

I know Paul, at West Coast 4x4 has an immaculate looking 80 series pickup.

Looks in top condition.

Green if I remember right.

Gra.

Attachments

• 283759_10152004866035347_1405138842_n.jpg
    283759_10152004866035347_1405138842_n.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 226
Hes got a nice green on will a alloy back on it. Just a 80 cab aswell.

Yes does look like its been bobbed. I think its off road only now. :think:

Personally I think I prefer the look of and 80 with a tray back as opposed to ones like that.

I spoke to my old boss in Australia last night, after not speaking to him for 3.5 years. Anyway if he has work for me and the guy with the 80 pickup/tray back is still there I will get some pics. His is definitely the nicest one I've seen. :thumbup:

That's the one I said,

have you seen his mum shoot off down the lane in it, she doesn't hold back, I am sure she floored it, out of their yard, and turning right.

Gra.

is there any pictures of this ? i do like the tray backs but i was worried about sva test.......maybe i could pick up it first then once the log book is changed to a 2 door i could then get it cabbed with a tray back, would be better for rear winch to then?:think:

ben, i know this is a very very long shot but was this one you seen purple by any chance?

The green one West Coast built was featured in Total Off Road magazine a few years ago. Unfortunately I sold all my magazines a few weeks ago otherwise I could have posted the article with pics. :doh:

You could tray back it without cutting the chassis, just means youd have a bigger bed. Would be more useful but obviously you wouldnt have as much clearance off road.

No the one in OZ was a dark green. It had been professionally built and looked like a factory vehicle. :icon-biggrin:

Searching "80 ute" on google images throws up some nice examples. :icon-wink:

I quite like the one below, but thats obviously had a chassis chop. I think an 80 could make an awesome challenge truck. :icon-twisted:

Attachments

• 36696mb_20.jpg
    36696mb_20.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 203
I think Paul's (WC4X4) told me it was a Transit aluminum bed, that he fitted.
Went strait on, I think he said.

Gra.

Back