Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Would anyone like to see an SAS'd 90 at Lincomb???

Would anyone like to see an SAS'd 90 at Lincomb???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Kinky stuff Chris, stockings and suspenders on a 90. Is she allowed out of the home for that sort of thing?

Can't make lincomb but want to see pics :icon-biggrin:

What axles you thinking of using?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not got a clue what you are on about mate, honestly. SAS'd 90? eh?

I'm in :thumbup: What axle are you going to use?

Would be awesome Chris. :icon-twisted: :thumbup:

I'm guessing from what you've written above that your going to use an 80 series one.

Will a front 80 series axle not be a much wider track than a 90? Or are you going to change both front and rear?

You may find that an LJ70/KZJ70 front axle would be nearer the track width of a 90.

Another thing to consider is where the prop flange is on the axle. I'm pretty sure 80's are off set, like 70's. :think:

And finally one other consideration, technically for this to be road legal it would need SVA/IVA testing as obviously you will be cutting off and welding on new chassis mounts. So for SVA/IVA its going to need decent welds (possibly by a qualified/coded welder) and possibly engineering calculations/technical drawings. :icon-ugeek:

I think early Surf's had a solid front axle so one of them maybe ? and think possibly there is a 90 going around somewhere in the world SAS'd with a nissan patrol axle ?

I'm pretty certain that Hilux's/Surfs have a surprisingly narrow wheel track, narrower than a Suzuki Vitara from memory.

I thought a 90 was very similar to the late 90's HiLux (and shares the chassis with a 185 series 4Runner), but that generation didn't come with a solid axle option... BUT saying that I can't imagine that Mr T did that much to change from one generation to another on the HiLux, so it's possible a 1989-1995 HiLux could donate the front axle.

Remember that most track measurements are centre of tyre to centre of tyre, so take into account off set, rather than hub face to hub face (which is what track is to me...)

Unless your going to be fitting front leaf springs (and why would you?) then an LJ70/KZJ70 front axle makes much more sense than a hi-lux as its already got shock mounts, radius arm mounts and coil perches already welded on and its virtually identical in width to a hi-lux axle. :icon-ugeek:

Going 80 series wont give you much/any more strength over an LJ/KZJ70 as its still only an 8" diff! If you want more strength go 60 series of Patrol. :icon-wink:

Last edited:
Had a very quick measure up today. Very basic but a guide to go on . Dirty Gal's rear axle from outside of tyres (with 35mm spacers and 30mm ofset wheels comes in at 79". Believe it or not the 80 with standard 80 alloys came in at 77". (or was it 77 and 75 either way its close enough) Pulled the gearbox from dirty Gal today. Why you ask. Well as I have hinted to here I will be going to 80 axles changing out both front and rear. Doing so has the problem that the diffs on the 80 are offset to the drivers side (rear is central and front is off to the passenger side on the 90) So I have to change the transfer box. So I need to machine up an adaptor plate. so to do so I pulled the gearbox and marked up what had to be fabbed. Hopefully in the next few days (time permitting) I will be pulling the trans case off the 80 to measure up for the other side of the adaptor.

Might this be a conversion your company could offer in the future Chris ?

Should be all set up for it Shayne but it would depend if anyone has got about 4.5K kicking around to have it done. There is going to be about a weeks work involved plus the cost of axles, transfer box, springs, shocks, steering box and linkages etc.

I was looking at doing this to my red car and im sure if you fit a gearbox from a 3L surf that moves the drive to the drivers side to suit the 80 axles :thumbup:

Back