Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

100 checks

frank rabbets

Guru
Hi Chaps

I have been through my 100 as far as I know and everything seems OK. However are there any weak points I should check out ?

It's a 4 sp auto with overdrive 2004 4.2 diesel with 64,000 miles. I've checked the suspension and steering column motors and they are OK. The aerial sometimes goes up with no command but I can live with that. I'm thrilled to bits with it. 1 previous owner who never did a trip of less than 10 miles.

The oil is crystal clear after 1200 miles. Is the filter different to the 80 one? When I change oil on my 80 I drain it hot and leave the plug out overnight but the oil is still a little black after this.

Thanks
Frank

The steering motors tend to wear out if the auto retraction is enabled. Does your steering wheel move out of the way when you take the key out of the ignition and move back into place when you put the key in? That's what wears them out and it can be turned off.

Can't help you with the oil question :)

The auto retracton works and is enabled. I think T and Julien are the only people we know who can turn them off, other than taking the wiring off the motor? I was driving it in the fully retracted position and when you put the key in nothing happened. It was a bit like apehangers.

All quiet at the western front and canopy nearly finished.

Frank

Same filter.

Weak points?
It's a TLC100. It doesn't have weak points.

Well:
1:
You've covered the front wheel bearings. One thing to take care of there is that if you ever get a bit of slack, the Hub Inner Seal will start to weep, and spread grease onto the hidden side of the brake disk. (Which then will be carbonized on the surface, and might give vibrations when braking) So, don't be shy; change the oil seal when in there.
2:
Don't overdo the greasing of the splines in the propellor shafts. They can hydro-lock and put pressure on the bearings in both ends, if the seals are good and tight (which they often are)
3: (to be continued)

...cont'd
3:
If you have a sun roof, keep the drains open. Same goes for the AC drain btw.
4:
The Bellcranks of the parking brake easily get stuck. Keep them well lubed (ceramic grease?). Might need a good clean-up if stuck.
5:
When the door locks start misbehaving, and one of them occasionally doesn't lock or unlock, just change the little motor inside the lock assembly. Get new motor on flea-b. First noticed in cold weather. Indicator lights will not flash when operating remote lock if one door does not actually lock. You should be there within another 64 k miles.

Thaks uHu

Have only the bellcranks to check now. Thanks for item 5. This sort of problem could have you running around in circles.

Frank

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back