Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

100 series ignition / steering lock problem -urgent help !!

stan

So i have a year 2000 100 series now, a bit if a project car thats needed a bit of work doing on it.
Ive just had OME suspension fitted and loads of work done on it for the mot.
We set off to Germany on monday morning and this evening i went to collect it from my friend who has just done the work on it.

Anyway i put the key in and it was sloppy and turning it did nothing..i had been fine when he parked it up.
So we pulled the dash apart, got to the barrel and removed that, with the key in the barrel removed from the housing its functioning, so it looks like its not that.

It seems that the key isnt being recognised so wont release the steering lock.
I cant sort anything until monday morning now but seeing if anyone has had anything similar??
We dont want to break the steering lock off, we could get mobile as i can start it from the back of the barrel using a screwdriver, but thats not ideal for four Weeks in Germany!

So any help and ideas welcome..

Thanks in advance

Without trying to sound silly. Have you tried turning the wheel a nats and turning the key? I wouldn't mention it but I've been caught out before in different vehicles so...

My 80 did the same thing recently and had to use a screw driver until a new ignition lock and key turned up by a fantastic breaker doing a home delivery.

You can always remove the wire from the fuel pump to slow down the thieves

Def doesnt work turning sterring wheel as the key isnt getting any effect, its just sloppy, pretty sure now its the casing all the barrel sits in, going to have to do the screwdriver thing like you stu till we get to Germany, good call on the fuel pump wire, cheers

There's a shaft that can snap in the barrel. The replacement part from Mr T is stronger and doesn't have that problem. Have a search on ih8mud there are detailed threads on replacing the shaft.

My 80 did the same thing recently and had to use a screw driver until a new ignition lock and key turned up by a fantastic breaker doing a home delivery.
Snap, so did mine.....KAAAAAARL
You can always remove the wire from the fuel pump to slow down the thieves

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Errrrrrrmmmmmmm. No home delivery Daz but I'll get on it tomoz.

Stan. If you need anything drop me a text tomoz. I expect they will be the same as the 80.. @Jon Wildsmith ?

Errrrrrrmmmmmmm. No home delivery Daz but I'll get on it tomoz.

Stan. If you need anything drop me a text tomoz. I expect they will be the same as the 80.. @Jon Wildsmith ?

Cheers karl, ill give you a shout in the morning, i have to set off monday, got a ferry to catch but maybe you can get something sent to Germany?
Anyway will call you am, thanks mate

I don't think it is the same part on an 80 but I don't know so ...

Back