Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

100-series jacking points, hi-lifts, etc

occamsrazor

...are really stupidly placed.

So I got a flat tire the other day and had to jack up the car using the jacking points on the diff/axle using the factory bottle jack. They are really hard to reach, especially with a flat tire, even on flat ground which luckily I was on. Had I been on uneven ground or in mud it would have been very tough indeed to use the bottle jack on these points.

Here in Kenya a lot of people use hi-lift jacks, but on a stock 100-series without bull-bar bumpers there's nowhere to jack from. Some people have metal extensions welded to the chassis rails, front and back, that stick out enabling the use of a hi-lift but they tend to be rather ugly.

So I was just curious what those with stock 100-series, without bumpers that have hi-lift points, were using to jack with offroad. Has anyone heard of off-the-shelf hi-lift jacking point add-ons?

Cheers, Ben

sliders might be the best way of getting more accessible jacking points if you don't want bumpers. I keep a sheet of plastic to put on the ground for when I have to crawl underneath so pre sliders I relied on that and the OEM jack, same as I do now on my 80. You can get adapters to lift the wheel which is ok for chucking rocks etc underneath to get out of a rut but for changing a wheel you need to support the truck so then you're back to crawling underneath ...

If you jack off sliders at the side of the vehicle, aren't you lifting the whole side of the vehicle (i.e. two wheels)? Or doesn't it work like that?

If you jack off sliders at the side of the vehicle, aren't you lifting the whole side of the vehicle (i.e. two wheels)? Or doesn't it work like that?

If you jack from the centre of the slider yes, but from either end should just lift one wheel, I've never had to try that but I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Jacking at the end of the slider does flex the suspension front and rear on that side but only lifts one tyre clear unless you keep going but decent sliders will take the weight of lifting the whole side anyway. I've done on the 100 I had and it works well.

Back