Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

100 Series, Petrol v Diesel

Paul

Garage
Country Flag
england
Right then, to those in the know, what are the pros and cons of 100 series diesel v petrol/lpg (apart from the obvious :cool: ) i was thinking of things like how waterproof is the v8 is, and what are they like with the high mileages?

Perhaps Jon W can help?

You thinking of changing then Paul?

just a bit of thinking out loud and some fact finding.
Might need a car for best soon, hopefully alongside the 80.

Paul,
Not sure whether cost is a factor in the decision, but a trawl through Autotrader indicates that the diesels are quite a bit more expensive than petrols (equivalent age, miles etc). There are petrol 100s in the same price range as the top end 80s :roll:
Not sure whether that means that the diesels are more popular but that would be my theory :ugeek:

Thats what i'm finding but however much i say "no offroading" in the 100, the red mist will desend and it will get muddy at some point.
There are some stunning petrols around with LPG so the economy should be there, especially with a bit of towing but the tank range and location will be an issue.

The V8 is happy under water Paul ;) Each plug has it's own coil sat on top of it in a sealed chamber so only normal 12v where water can get, no points or distributer so all you need to do is put a snorkel on same as the diesel.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
And with regard to LPG - and Jon didn't you you fitted a (modified) import rear wheel carrier and the stuck an lPG tank underneath?

adrianr said:
And with regard to LPG - and Jon didn't you you fitted a (modified) import rear wheel carrier and the stuck an lPG tank underneath?

Yes although fitting the tank is as far as I've got for now :roll:

Can you get it reclassified and some sort of reduction in the rip-off tax or is saving purely on fuel costs?

It's not worth the trouble apparently for the tax, just saves you money on running costs which is supposed to be about 40% cheaper than running it on petrol and about 20% cheaper than the diesel covering the same miles.

Had a 1999 V8 for 5 years without problems. Silky smooth, quiet unless you really booted it and quiet quick. I've now had a diesel for about 13 months which feels agricultual in comparison, but you get used to it. The diesel has a very torquey motor and still a great 4 x 4 just not as refined!

When I had the petrol I considered an LPG conversion, but got put off by reports of 'valve seat recession'. Seems that this tends to be worst on Japanese cars - I've read about a lot of issues where this has happened on big Lexus. Might be worth some research!

I have a 4500 efi petrol 100 series and I can say that I am extremely happy with it. It is smooth and powerful and has been reliable without major problems. I have also fitted an LPG system and found that it has reduced costs by about 40%. The tank has a 90 litre capacity and I get a range of approximately 450km on it. I have not experienced and issues with the seating of the valves as of yet and I have had the conversion for 3 years now. I have also had the headers changed to SS and fitted a freeflow Borla exhaust system and fitted a K&N coldair induction kit and find the truck performing very well with no complaints

Jon out of interest, how much does it cost to fill up and what range do you get from that??

I'm assuming you mean the LPG? Dry to full is £48 at the moment which gets me about 270 miles if I'm gentle. That's about 10% less mpg than for petrol. Having two tanks of fuel is handy on a vehicle that doesn't have a great range otherwise. My old 80 would be running on fumes at about 200 miles on a good day so from my POV it's cheap motoring either way!

Hi guys,

Just picking this post back up again. IF I was looking for a 100, and maybe wanted a V8, on gas,then what year would be best to start looking at? Did the early ones have any problems etc. This is just an IF!!!!!

Cheeers, ;) :thumbup:

Tony

My advice would be to stay away from LPG converted Japanese imports. I've also come across a couple of "cheap" single point conversion which quite frankly defeat the original purpose of the conversion. Personally if the conversion isn't a Prinns or a AGW Romano, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

The Dark Dude

I thought the torque converter washer problem affected petrol as well as diesel but uHu says not and I was only going off the problems being reported on ih8mud i.e. American trucks. Post June 2001 is when you wouldn't care either way ... Other than getting ATRAC in late 99 I don't think much changed till the 5 speed auto box in late 2003?

Thanks,Jon. I would be better getting a pick up style really, would get more use around the farm, would like a 45 75 or 79 really, but want to look at options and prices. The utes are rarer so potentially more, but older, and the V8s are a lot of truck for the money.
Decisions, decisions!! No rush but fun looking.

These run the V8 2UZ engines dont they??, UZ lumps are about THE best petrol engines ever made bar none! You wont break one ;)

Yep 2UZ and I read that in the 100 series landcruiser they have forged con rods so should cope with some extra power. Sc, turbo or nitro for an occasional bit of extra go?

Back