Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

12 or 24

silvercruiser

Hello and sorry i did do a search but did not find my answer.

My l/c wouldn't start yesterday, it was if i had a flat battery it was just about turning over so i got my meter out and checked the battery on the right (if your looking in the engine bay) and got 12.75v so thought thats OK then i went to the left battery and went to pull the rubber/plastic cover up on the terminal and it pulled the whole clamp up. So yes cracked my problem i cleaned it up and put it back on. but it looks like the accessory side to me or is it 24 volt starting like the 4,2 beasts :?:

Joe

I think they are equal, either or both could start the car.

I know for a fact that the near side battery on it's own will start the car, as I have a leisure battery on the offside that I can and have disconnected for starting.

img1195gx.jpg

If it's like the 120 (would it not be?) then the two batteries are connected in parallel so they are both used for starting but yes, either / or will start it.

If you had a dud connection on one battery and it struggled to start, I would check the opposite battery as it should have had enough juice to crank the engine. Either a dying battery or loose connection somewhere between it and the starter / chassis.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Joe,

It is generally recommended to change both batteries at the same time as if the one is older/not in as good a condition it will drain the other one. Mr T sells them for around £130 for the two - I changed mine in November.

Probably worth getting an electrician to check them out - I think most battery sellers will do it FOC in the hope of getting the business.

cheers

Crispin said:
If it's like the 120 (would it not be?) then the two batteries are connected in parallel so they are both used for starting but yes, either / or will start it.

If you had a dud connection on one battery and it struggled to start, I would check the opposite battery as it should have had enough juice to crank the engine. Either a dying battery or loose connection somewhere between it and the starter / chassis.

If one battery is dying it could drain the current from the good battery resulting in not enough power to start the engine, especially in the current cold weather.

Also the Starter Motor's on these do like a good voltage! or you can start getting issues with the contacts in the starter motor (cheap and easy bits to swap - BUT you do have to take the Starter Motor out)...

Dave

Ok thanks for the replies il borrow a drop tester from my friend and give them a test but the nearside battery did give a good reading of 12.75 standing and this was first thing at -2oc, i never tested the offside battery as when i found the loose connection i tightened it up and it fired first turn but il see what results i get.

Joe

The voltage does not mean that it is a healthy battery. It is the Amperage that does the work if you are showing 12.75 volts you could have very little Amps and thus will not start the car. A quick test if you do not have a hydrometer is to put the volt meter across the battery and turn it over if the battery is healthy the starter will turn and the voltage will probably only drop to 11 or so volts. If the battery is unhealthy the start will struggle to turn and the voltage drop to virtually zero. This is not the best test but will give you enough info as a guide.

Basiclly what you are doing is testing the battery under load.

Steve

Back