Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

120 rear lights

scubadec

Hi all,
I have the, Back door mounted spare tyre, model of the 120, and Im wondering where I can get a picture / diagram of what each light does on the back, I have a feeling that not all of them are working as they should be, and that a few bulbs need to be replaced.
Thanks in advance.

do you have an account on ToyoDIY? They will have the clusters listed.

No Crispin, I dont have a Toyodiy account yet, But Ill get onto it now. Thanks.

Ok, iv had a look, and while they show the top light clusters, they dont show the bumper mounted ones.. for my model at least.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Oops,

commonearth.jpg

lampholderinbrakelight.jpg

lampholderinvacantturnsignal.jpg

taillightconnection.jpg

turnsignalconnection.jpg

Graham

Ok, iv managed to sort out what lights I have working, and the one that wasnt..

Now, How big a job is it to rewire the original light clusters? Is there any walk troughs on how to do it anywhere? (Im willing to try it, but iv no experience at it.)

Are there any legal issues (I cant see there being).

Would I be overloading the fuses by having a second set of lights on the current system?

And why didn't Toyota just wire the two sets of lights?

Thanks in advance...

Declan

IIRC the lights on the bumper are different because EU (I think) and UK law require both to be visible from various angles - if you've a spare on the door, then the one set on the D pillar would be obscured by the wheel. So if a whole side of lights were out (in theory) then there's the chance of an accident / incident as you would have no idea from the side angles if the vehicle was braking or turning - by having the lights under the spare wheel, i.e. on the bumper, thet avoided that problem ... Some, like older Discos I think, did have them all wired up. Looked a bit like a disco - wonder if that's where they got the name and just tarted it up :lol: :lol: :lol:

Its because we in UK, drive on LHS of the road,
The rear door opens to the right, therefore hiding the rear pillar lights. Which is the off side,
hence the requirement to have additional lights in the bumper.
In European cars, eg France, I believe because they drive on the right, and the door opens to the right, so when a French car opens it;s rear door, the off side lights are still visable.

Well at least thats how I was told the lighting regs. are,

So simnply remove the spare off the back door for MOT./

Graham

Thanks for the replies so far. I was hoping to have both sets of lights working though, i reckon it would be better when I am towing the boat etc. Is it just a case of splicing some electric cable onto the existing line and running it up to the top cluster? And will that overload the system? Or will it cope with the extra power needed to power two bulbs instead of one?

See what the fuse rating is, work out how many lights are already in the circuit, add you new lights to the mix and if you are still well below what the fuse is, it should be ok.

Did'ent make any difference on mine when I added the additional pillar lights.
Even the flashing speed remained unchanged.

Graham

Hey, Is it possible to order parts off Toyo diy?
Cause you can bet your last cent that Toyota Ireland wont be selling items at the prices on the Toyodiy website!

I don't think so. It's just a guide.

Speak to Ian Rubie (member here). Not sure if he can help?

Last Question. I swear!
How do I get to the bulbs in the Bumper clusters on my cruiser, I thought I had found one telling me how before, but now I cant find it!
Grrrr

Don't they go in from behind the bumper?

Yes :doh: i missed it during the brief look id had before i asked. In my defence the exhaust was in my way, and it was raining.

Yet again, im back with more Questions.
Graham just a few questions for you.
See the White plastic bit, did you bother with it? or did you just run the two new wires beside it, and leave it alone?
photo2.jpg

photo4.jpg

I know from your pictures which are the correct terminals, but how did you connect the wires to the terminals? Did you just run the new wires direct into the plastic bulb holders?
photo6.jpg

Also I found this joint beside the bottle jack, any idea what its for?
photo.jpg

Back