Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

120 Series Custom Rock Sliders

Gary Stockton

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
zimbabwe
Well Gary finally has his sliders so now he will definitely need to upgrade his suspension :lol: I thought I'd taken more WIP photo's but I guess not and the fitting ones I took today turned out badly because the camera had come off auto so decent photos will have to wait till Gary has chance to take some.

A length of 150mmx6mm flat on it's way to the cutting bench that I thought you might be interested to see how bendy it is with not really a lot of force applied (gravity and it's own length):

IMG_0793.JPG

Made some legs. The 120 chassis doesn't run quite parallel to the body, it tapers in towards the front, so the rear leg is square on but the front leg is angled slightly. Legs and jacks in place ready to offer up the main box section:

IMG_0808.JPG

Main box section resting in place so I can double check the leg positions and length:

IMG_0805.JPG

Drivers side slider just waiting for some chequer plate. The foot plates are 150mmx6mm flat, the box section is 100mmx50mmx5mm and the tube is 50.8mmx3mm:

IMG_0811.JPG

Keeping good company :lol:

IMG_0815.JPG

Drivers side resting in place, not sure about a caption :lol:

IMG_0816.JPG

ooh look someone painted it:

IMG_0820.JPG

IMG_0821.JPG

Think he missed a bit this side:

IMG_0822.JPG

We did a bit more in the fading light like trimming the front mud flaps to make a cap for the flares. Hopefully Gary got back safe and will post some proper pics tomorrow.

So - got to take some pics for Jon on this lot - don't worry about the rust and mud and grit - haven't had a chance to brush it off and re-paint. I'll get round to that next weekend I hope. In the meantime a selection of pics showing the mounts / gusseting, hi-lift jack points etc. Enjoy ...

Sliders-23.jpg

Sliders-22.jpg

Sliders-20.jpg

Sliders-13.jpg

Sliders-12.jpg

Sliders-10.jpg

Sliders-02.jpg

Sliders-08.jpg

Sliders-06.jpg

Sliders-04.jpg

This is what prompted this all:

RunningBoard004.jpg

RunningBoard006.jpg

Hey, are those bricks that I see growing up through your lawn.

Yuk, yuk yuk. oh I love it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

C

Question about the mounting brackets: The whatcha-ma-call-it brace in the tenth pic (first pic of the underside), what is the purpose of the two cut-outs? I know it's not weight saving.

Crispin said:
Question about the mounting brackets: The whatcha-ma-call-it brace in the tenth pic (first pic of the underside), what is the purpose of the two cut-outs? I know it's not weight saving.

They're an 80 series slider chassis plate cut in half and those holes are for the U bolts. Just the best material I had to hand for that job because they're only 4mm plate and even I thought 6mm gussets was too much :) I have lot's of 6mm material, very little thinner stuff!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I decided that after all the salty roads etc. in the winter I should be kind to Jon's handiwork, so I hauled them off the 120 and sent them away for powder coating - found a good place locally who charged me £60 to sandblast and powder coat. Jon kindly sent me coated bolts to replace the self-coloured ones we used originally. I spent most of today fitting them back again - must say I'm very impressed now!!

As they came back from the powder coater:

DSC_0545.jpg

Side view unwrapped

DSC_0546.jpg

Top view - looks dame fine!

DSC_0547.jpg

Offered up with a real Heath Robinson set of supports - those sliders are heavy!

DSC_0548.jpg

DSC_0549.jpg

Job done (well, that side anyway :lol: ) The passenger side, with the fuel tank in the way, was interesting, to say the least!!

DSC_0550.jpg

DSC_0551.jpg

Looks like a bought one!

Looks good.

I like the knobkierie you have there. Use it yet on anyone? :twisted:

I see the winter has killed your lawn. I can hardly tell it was ever there:
DSC_0551.jpg

They look good, ready for dealing with French rocks :)

Crispin said:
I like the knobkierie you have there. Use it yet on anyone? :twisted:
I see the winter has killed your lawn. I can hardly tell it was ever there

You're a funny boy...... and the only thing that's had the benefit of the 'kierie is a rabbit - so far :twisted:

My weed-killer starting to take effect!

They look really nice Gary. I must seriously think about getting some for mine as I still have the 'Lincomb bend' in the ones I have at the moment. :D :D

Steve

Back