120 Series Radio Head Unit Swap?

Gary Stockton

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
zimbabwe
Hi all,

I've given up on trying to get the remote hook-up gizmo for an iPod connector - the ones I've tried just don't work on all the integrated components on the LC5 - the closest I've got is Chris' old genuine Toyota one from his Avensis, which will work if I disconnect the OEM cd shuttle, otherwise I get both sets of music playing concurrently - tad weird. I can't disconnect the shuttle as SWMBO likes to get books on CD from the library to listen to on long-haul drives ...

So - next thought was to upgrade the existing head unit - I think it's a Pioneer and has no display, and has a cassette facility (remember those???)

Can any of you aficionados out there recommend a replacement head unit that has the same capabilities - but ALSO will let me plug in my iPod such that it charges as well as plays??

I assume, as I have a Pioneer system throughout (amplifier, cd shuttle, head unit etc.) that I will need to stay with a Pioneer head unit??

Cheers

Gary.

You could always look at the MEOS one I'm just taking out which I have for sale - sorry shameless plug :D

Or if you want a Pioneer one so you can keep the CD stacker then have a look on ebay. there are quite a few of the AVH or AVIC models around that I'm pretty sure will hook up to the existing CD stacker. The one I just got - a Pioneer AVIC HD1BT is a full double din one with touch screen, sat nav, camera inputs, DVD/CD and SD on board plus the ability to hook up a stacker (not sure if the standard LC one can have a new cable so that it hooks up to the IP bus but I would expect it being a Pioneer unit that it could. It controls the iPod fully through the screen including video, list browsing, search etc as well as charging it (you need the option iPod controller as well however). Alternatively you may be able to get a single din one (I just got a Sony one for my wife) which has a CD stacker input that you may be able to get a converter for. The Sony one I got for my wife doesn't have a stacker input but the iPod control is brilliant and again it charges too.

I doubt very much you would find anything, Pioneer or other, which would "just work" with the existing tape, amp and CD.
Exception might be CD with a plug change as they all pretty much the same.

I am itching for one of these custom radios for the 120 where they look OEM. Only problem is they all look cheap Chinese quality stuff.
google Prado double din radio.

Non of the normal double din, full screen radios look decent when fitted and all look like they have been crowbarred in by a halfords weekend warrior.

As for wife wanting CDs - an option would be one like Andy is offering which has a hardrive in. You can then copy your CDs onto the radio.

edit: You can only copy CDs that you own to the radio, not the library's copy ;)

Crispin.

Actually the one I'm offering hasn't got the Hard Drive, that's the one I've bought that I'm putting in (the Pioneer AVIC HD1BT). With regard to the tape, yes you don't have much choice these days if you want to fully work your iPod, don't think any units with tapes have the iPod input. My old Pioneer did have a tape and the CD stacker, unfortunately you can only put the audio out from the iPod with one of those tape things, alternatively you can get one of the units that make it look like a CD stacker but unfortunately you won't get much direct control of it from the head unit except maybe changing tracks - also you need a separate charging cable.

One of the units like the MEOS / EONON or even the Pioneer AVIC/AVH or the Kenwood DX units may well help in you could feed a standalone tape player into one of the AV ports but to be honest it's a bit heath robinson, also you could put a CD walkman into the fron AV input instead of worrying about a stacker, or get one of the stackers that have RF connections to the head unit - i.e. a bit like those ones for iPods that mean you don't need a cable.

To be honest to get everything will be a right faff, the best I think you can achieve is Radio / CD/ DVD / iPod / CD Stacker if you go for one of the Pioneer units which I'm pretty sure will work with the existing CD Stacker, just need to change the cable as the existing one is meant to work with the Toyota AV LAN.

if your ipod interface is anything like the Densio one I offered you it can probably be programmed to stop the CD & ipod playing at the same time?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Crispin said:
Non of the normal double din, full screen radios look decent when fitted and all look like they have been crowbarred in by a halfords weekend warrior.

To be honest the main thing is making sure that the dimensions are right. While it would look better if it actually sat behind the centre dash aperture, you would lose the screen angle adjustability which most of these units have which is quite usefull. I think the MEOS one looks probably the best of all of them (actually looks pretty much in practice just like the Pioneer one which was rated probably the best in car fitted Sat Nav unit. One thing I do find with the Screen based ones is that screen glare is somewhat a problem and I would (I will be fitting on the Pioneer unit) fit an anti glare film on the screen.

That being said with the Chinese units (at least the Meos is from a German company although probably still made in China) some of them can be a bit flaky. That being said I have had not one bit of problem with mine, took about 1/2 hour to fit and then after spending probably around a total of 3 hours running AV cables to front and rear for the cameras, about another 10 minutes to rig everything up and test it. The Sat Nav worked straight out of the box and uses Sygix Mobile maps as the engine which is pretty much like the Garmin portable units in use.

The only thing I'm missing is cassette tape playing which means I probably have to try and source a dozen or so albums on CD or download on iTunes which I currently only have on tape. Not a great problem really now.

{admin: fixed quote}

Jon Wildsmith said:
if your ipod interface is anything like the Densio one I offered you it can probably be programmed to stop the CD & ipod playing at the same time?

:oops: :oops:

Had forgotten about that Jon - can you pop me the details to review? Probably would work, knowing the contents of your Tardis :lol: :lol:

Dension Gateway 100, has an ipod connection and a 3.5mm aux input. Has two styles of connector for the stereo which AFAIK is supposed to cover all the Toyota variations and has a Y lead for the CD changer to stay connected. I used it in my 100 but my OEM stereo didn't have a text display facility but if yours does then it's supposed to let you browse tracks etc on the OEM stereo rather than having to do it on the ipod as I had to do. I changed to a Pioneer head unit at the end of last year with everything I wanted built in so the Dension is not needed.

EDIT: If google won't find you a 100, it's like the 300 but without USB.

Gary

You will have some problems taking the head unit out and replacing it. It seems to be so integrated with the nav display (where there is some also functionality) and the amp under the seat where Mrs S sits. Not sure it's a striaght forward as you think!

Back