Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

120 with blown engine

Paul

Garage
Country Flag
england
Right then, new area of the forum for me but here goes.
I have been told about a 120, 100000 miles, 2005, former one careful owner (united nations!) And has a blown engine. All I know is that the turbo is missing and the radiator is laying in the boot! It is an auto and cloth interior. I can probably make an offer and waiting to see it tomorrow so what's it worth?
I have seen ones like this on ebay for 7-9000 and this one may need a new engine.

D4D
Just been reading about oil pick up problems, that would fit the story so far.

As long as you are capable of doing the work, which you quite clearly are, then it seems quite a bargain.

I'm guessing a new engine would be needed. If the rad is in the boot then it clearly would have overheated as there is little airflow in the back :mrgreen:

If it is the oil pickup, then it would be a new engine as it's normally (well, in the cases I've read about) No. 1 which seizes solid.

If it has cloth seats then it's probably a LC3 which would have the rear diff with no ATRAC. Graham picked up a spare engine of fleabay for quite cheap and there are a number sitting at breakers ATM with impact damage so if you wanted to...

OMG, Lc3? Do I start to ask the newbie question of "what LC have I got?" Lol

I will try to find out more tomorrow but first calculations are that the truck is a complete write off if toyo prices are involved, well that's my starting negotiation anyway ;-)

Why did graham source a new engine?

No atrac and with diff lock suits me fine, is the diff lock switch obvious like other land cruisers? I did notice it has twin batteries by the way.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Graham got one because it was cheap on fleabay. He can elaborate though.

Not sure how the diffs work, Chris or graham can explain. I think the rear is mechanical.

Only rear diff, not sure if there us oem front?

Sent from TapaTalk

Can anyone tell me the engine code for a D4D in a 2005, 120 series please?

Gary Stockton said:
Mine is a KDJ125 - is that what you're after?

Just popped out to see what mine was..... but no idea where to find it :oops: Where is the code located?

Re: Re: 120 with blown engine

TonyP said:
Gary Stockton said:
Mine is a KDJ125 - is that what you're after?

Just popped out to see what mine was..... but no idea where to find it :oops: Where is the code located?

Previous owner filed yours off...

Sent from TapaTalk

Which one is it then?

I will sort specifics when needed but is KDJ125 enough for talking to breakers and the like?

I would quote both - the KDJ125 is the model designator, the 1KDFTV is the D-4D motor as far as I can tell.

Cheers

Cheers guys.

There are a couple on ebay at the moment described as 1KD models so will call them.

Have to see on their returns policy though as the turbo is missing.

Also don't believe we got the 120 here with the KZ-TE engine (the one in the Colorafo) like they did in Oz or SA

You will need to check hp ratings though - the 2005 auto switched to a 166ps motor with a 5spd auto box ....

Gary Stockton said:
Also don't believe we got the 120 here with the KZ-TE engine (the one in the Colorafo) like they did in Oz or SA

You will need to check hp ratings though - the 2005 auto switched to a 166ps motor with a 5spd auto box ....

I only thought that because he said it was an ex UN vehicle. many of them did.... pretty rare though

Will be seeing it again tomorrow so will look closely, if its like the older ones then toyota seem to label them quite clearly.

The only other concern is that the rad was out. Do they have a separate system for auto box cooling or could the gearbox be at risk from coolant contamination if the rad failed internally.

I have the details from the VIN plate now, is it safe to post them on here?

Back