Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

120 springs and shocks

toolsplus

Country Flag
portugal
It would be interesting to know what suspension 120 owners are running.
My car had OEM springs and shocks from new (2006) then I changed to OME springs (40 mm lift) and OME shocks until now.
It's too firm but the body roll in corners is acceptable now. Offroad it articulates well but it's a harsh ride.

So what suspension is on your 120,OEM or after market?

Cheers

Last edited:
Standard OE set up here on LC5.
One of the reasons i'm going to keep the rear air suspension going as long as possible is because of the relatively good handling it helps provide, sure footed in the wet helped no doubt by Yoko GO15 tyres (would definately buy again), those all round adjustable shockers on the LC5 provide subtle but noticeable differences, if and when they're past it i probably wouldn't spend out the ludicrous amount new OE shocks would cost but would want very good quality replacements, if they had manually adjustable damping rates that would be a bonus.

Can't say roll in corners is an issue but then i've driven trucks with varying centres of gravity for nearly 50 years so naturally i drive my cars in a similar way, Mrs doesn't mention it and she drives like the devil himself is after her, i do know our 120 can make on road progress as well as most other traffic including keeping up on the twisties if required, no it isn't in the same league as our Forester XT obviously, but its ability to soak up the rapidly deteriorating road surfaces coupled with its wet handling? we've got no complaints.

As i mentioned in the other thread the previous 95 Collie was fitted with OME slightly raised stiffer springs and shocks, the ride was too harsh and i wouldn't want to repeat.

if and when they're past it i probably wouldn't spend out the ludicrous amount new OE shocks would cost but would want very good quality replacements, if they had manually adjustable damping rates that would be a bonus.
Last year I had problems with the rear air suspension on my 120 which is LC5 too. Long story short the height sensor broke, lead to it over inflating, bent the bracket, then it kept chewing up air bags. Aside from that, the rear shocks were awful towards the end. Whatever would happen the ride would become really harsh, undriveable really.

Toyota dealership wanted £1,800 for the rear pair of shocks. Roughtrax wanted £1,100 for the pair. I ended up paying £300 for a pair from Australia. Brand new Toyota shocks, including the taxes and shipping.

So when they do go, remember to look them up in Australia.

Last year I had problems with the rear air suspension on my 120 which is LC5 too. Long story short the height sensor broke, lead to it over inflating, bent the bracket, then it kept chewing up air bags. Aside from that, the rear shocks were awful towards the end. Whatever would happen the ride would become really harsh, undriveable really.

Toyota dealership wanted £1,800 for the rear pair of shocks. Roughtrax wanted £1,100 for the pair. I ended up paying £300 for a pair from Australia. Brand new Toyota shocks, including the taxes and shipping.

So when they do go, remember to look them up in Australia.

Whilst happy to keep the rear air suspension going as along as possible the difference between the various settings isn't enough to make me bother with TEMS shockers again, Monroes Koni Bilstien whatever i can find will go on.
Koni apparently make adjustables for the 120, but from reading it seems they have to be off the vehicle to make any adjustments, blow that for a lark, once fitted they can stop on for another 20 years hopefully
:)

Back