Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

12HT Engine, any good?

Paul

Garage
Country Flag
england
As it says, off to look at a hj61 with a 12ht motor, anything to look for?

Best LC engine ever, Indestructible and very reliable. Mine has done 200k and is perfect.

Andy

They are excellant,not sure I agree that they are the best,as there are 2-3 other toyota diesels that are at least equal place with the 12HT.
However,they are still a very good engine,but their age and parts availabilty is working against them now.They were only in production for 5 years,so there is not a huge number of them outside Japan or Australia.
Many of their crucial parts are out of production and out of stock and parts that wear out are also wearing out on other engines,making it near impossible to find used spares.

Automatics transmissions suck the power out of them.
Ask when the injectors were last done,its not easy to find someone who can do them properly.
It should start easy dead cold with just a 1 second blast of black smoke.Mke sure they havent warmed the engine up 5 mins before you have arrived .They are expensive to rebuild.

I just helped a touareg friend rebuild his 12HT, with a kit from down under. Quite affordable I thought, 1295 AUD including con rods, pistons, rings, all bearings, gaskets. For once shipping was reasonable, usually kills any dealing with Oz.
I was happy when it arrived to find all Japanese parts, steel reinforced pistons, Denso and other makes.
Abdellah was thrilled - he could only find chinese parts in Algeria.

Also installed new injectors and turbo. Turbo was Chinese but should do the job. Injectors that used to be impossible to find are now on ebay, with a choice of Denso or aftermarket, reasonably priced.

Myself, I am not sure I need a 12HT in my car. I have had many 60s with 2H and they were rarely short of power. If I was running through loose sand dunes more often, it would make a difference. For home use, being able to go 110 or 120 km/h on the highway is a good thing, rather than stuck at 90. But the car I have now with 12HT has its otiginal 4sp so I can't anyway.
Bottom line is seeing how much harder it is to find parts for 12HT than 2H I think it would be better to install a turbo in a 2H. Then not crank the turbo pressure up other than when it is really needed.

Touregs say 12HT is better than 1HZ; I dunno. They probably prefer the old style truck engine and no electronics, for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
Not really an issue any more as now have an 80

The 1HZ doesnt have any electronics too

True, should have said they prefer the 60 to the 80 because of the simplicity.
But they said they thought 12HT was more durable than the 1HZ and they should know; doubt anyone run their landcruisers as hard as they do.
Here we are in the windy Tenere in 2009
18643_285092727912_690427912_3482490_5143034_n.jpg
Good luck with your 80, I am going to get one too, someday. Very hard finding a LHD in decent shape for a reasonable price, a rarity here.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
12ht is the way to go. Hi all, I upgraded to this motor and tossed the 2h as it was so underpowered. I would not turbo a 2h as some have overheating issues especially in the cyl head mainly due to it pre combustion design. Some get away with it some don't. The 1hz engine is a rubber band engine (timing belt) and has slightly more kw than the 12ht but you can increase boost and fuel to achieve much more power. Even as std the 12ht is a mighty engine.

Back