Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1989 Factory Reset-ish

89Cruiser

Country Flag
england
Hello,

Had a little time here and there whilst January was quieter with work so made some small progress with the cruiser.

First up I picked up a pair of batteries, connected everything up and it was good to see some lights on the dashboard as well as the side lights working. Next I’ll be replacing the starter relay as you can see from the picture it’s not in great shape, same with the negative on the passenger side. It seems like the negative clamp on the passenger is also a different diameter to the other clamps as that wouldn’t fit on the G7 snugly so that will be replaced also. Obviously not that alert that morning so pic shows the battery the wrong way round.

Also picked up a pair of 275/70 Geolandars on eBay as I was getting bored of inflating the tyre every few days. Swapped the rear passenger wheel to the front and removed the spare wheel that I think is beyond repair.

I’ve not got round to fitting the alternator yet, I need to grab a mounting bolt for it. But that has had a bit of a clean up also.

Once I’ve got the alternator in I’ll be replacing the fuel lines. Other than checking the fuel tank for debris and water, are there any other checks before linking that back up? It was previously started last Summer with a Jerry can rigged up.

Main objective for me now is getting it to start and move around the farm so I can get it to a flat concrete pad and safely strip it down to see the state of everything.

Been great to look through Hayden’s Big Bertha thread and will go down a similar route, though I’m going to try and get it as close to original as possible with the exception of some modern gadgets though I’m long way off putting those things in :)

Found lots of useful info around the forum to help so thanks for all the resources and inspiration.

Attachments

• FE8DDB6E-40FF-49DE-8172-1EE8DFC20362.jpeg
    FE8DDB6E-40FF-49DE-8172-1EE8DFC20362.jpeg
    275.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 5D45FB8C-55CA-4618-A1B9-B3E7B0A3F833.jpeg
    5D45FB8C-55CA-4618-A1B9-B3E7B0A3F833.jpeg
    350.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 81977FBA-9FE3-403E-906E-4285691C646C.jpeg
    81977FBA-9FE3-403E-906E-4285691C646C.jpeg
    341.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 79382121-4EF6-4452-8EB9-BBE7B04D06AF.jpeg
    79382121-4EF6-4452-8EB9-BBE7B04D06AF.jpeg
    408.9 KB · Views: 17
  • A30335E1-91AF-40BA-B49D-994DBE3A78AD.jpeg
    A30335E1-91AF-40BA-B49D-994DBE3A78AD.jpeg
    419.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Finally! Rigged up with a Jerry can for the moment. Took it round the farm and moved up to 3rd gear.

There is a loud whirring sound behind the dash on the drivers side when linking up the battery (without turning the key) so will need to check that out. The car also doesn’t switch off. Any ideas on that? Big leak from the radiator also, so will need to find that.

This weekend I’ll drop out what’s in the fuel tank and see how the tank itself is holding up.

Now it’s moving I’ll get it over to a concrete pad so I can start cleaning up the underside also over the next few weeks.

Overall very happy to be driving a cruiser and excited to get on with some more work!

Last edited:
iPhone won’t let me upload the videos so I’ll shoot another this morning in the right format!

There may be a fuel sediment trap attached to drivers side chassis rail. Would recommend draining and cleaning out. Mine was half full of water last time I checked which was about 5 years since last done

There may be a fuel sediment trap attached to drivers side chassis rail. Would recommend draining and cleaning out. Mine was half full of water last time I checked which was about 5 years since last done
Thanks Ben, will check that. The fuel lines look they will need replacing anyway. Perhaps the fuel tank also, once I’ve drained it to check the state.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Also take the fuel sendernout and be very gentle as may be brittle. Mine looked like is was ready for the bin with rust but it cleaned up perfect and works. Just very fragile. Good luck

The whirring noise in the dash (assuming it's not the heater fan) is on my 80, what appears to be a cooling fan for the radio? I have the same noise and had a dig about and found that there is what looks like a PC style fan, but factory, in up above where the radio sits...might be something similar on yours?

Assuming your tank is not rusted through, you can get a sealing compound that you put into the tank, seal up the filler etc and slosh around to create a corrosion free surface all inside the tank.

Back