Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1994 80 Series is mine!

srmnm

Country Flag
ireland
Hi All,

New to the forum. Just bought an 1994, 80 series, Petrol/LPG, AT. Get to pick it up tomorrow!
Plenty of work to be done to get it in shape for some trips around Queensland, NT and Pilbara! Will hopefully keep the information coming and leverage the bountiful information already available here.
Used to own a 2nd Gen Pajero and was fantastic off-road. Wasnt beefy enough to keep from getting bogged in South Australia. Hoping the 80 series wont let me down!
Cheers,
Will
IMG_4572.JPG

Thanks all! Have given it a very original name "80".
Didn't die on the way home from dealership and was told if it plays up just to take it back. Gotta get rid of that roof basket though. Clearance in my carport is limited to 2.2M and it has the roof racks and 2" lift.
Ran it on LPG for the 12km journey home. Only had it up to 80km with traffic.
NOW, time to start figuring out how to solve the spare wheel and limited clearance issue... I want to keep the tailgate intact so looks like I need an arm-swing back bar, unless anyone has other bright ideas. I did post this elsewhere in the forum but not getting any attention.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There's 2 main ways of fitting a rear swing out wheel carrier, one is getting your hands on a Jap export model (I think) which bolts onto the rear quarter/pillar with brace plates inside and out, the other is to buy a steel rear bumper with an integral spare wheel swing out carrier.

I have one, it's an ARB but they're expensive, strong and heavy but grrrreat!

If you plan on driving on heavy corrugated roads- I would look at a chassis mounted system like a new steel bumper or a swing out arm that is not mounted to the body panels. I think the body panels might be a bit light for the constant vibrations from corrugated roads and have seen pictures of them damaging / tearing the bodywork. Maybe have a look for a used one even if you need to give it some tlc.

Back