Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1994 Delayed Full Power Transmission Engagement

MWT

When going from Park to Drive the transmission seems to be slipping and does not see fully engaged for about 50 yards then it kicks in at full power. If I stop and go from Drive to 2nd. and back it kicks in normally. This car has always done this, but rarely so it was no big deal. ButI just had the transmission seal replaced and now it does it every time I go from Park to Drive. If I put it in Reverse, Low or Second it works fine. Any ideas? The mechanic is befuddled.
Thanks

Has the correct ATF been put back in the box and have you checked the fluid level ?

Fluid level okay - need to check with mechanic re ATF - thank you for your reply.

Might be worth just having the trans oil changed completely it may be losing its quality

Cheers

Fluid level okay - need to check with mechanic re ATF - thank you for your reply.
Has the correct method been used for checking? Best when hot, engine running, cycle through all gears then check the dipstick against the ‘hot’ marks.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
While you’re at it, check the kick down cable is free to move. It runs from a quadrant on the throttle linkage down towards the transmission. It probably isn’t your problem, but it’s worth checking anyway. Give it a gentle pull and let go. It should drop straight back smartly with no delay.

That would be the throttle position sensor cable then Rich.

You know I cant help it.

That would be the throttle position sensor cable then Rich.

You know I cant help it.

I know Chris, we do make allowances. :icon-wink:

Is throttle position also done with the little flat black sensor though, or does the gearbox use both? Just thinking if the sensor were slightly out of synchronism with the kick down :doh:sorry, throttle position cable, could it perhaps be contributing to this problem?

Last edited:
The adjustment on that cable is pretty important to gear shifting. It does make a big difference. It effectively tells the gearbox what the engine is doing - or vice versa. The black box thing is the sensor, yes. I don't have an auto to look at but from memory, the cable is the link beteen the two

Maybe it’s worth investigating whether moving one against the other makes any difference as MWT says it has always done this.

To investigate, first mark the position of the flat black sensor on the throttle linkage. Loosen the two screws and move it a tiny bit one way and note if things get worse or better. There’s also an adjustment on the cable but best to only move one thing at a time and monitor the results. Whatever you do, mark the current position.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the recommendations - I will check all options.

Screenshot 2019-02-03 at 17.39.02.jpg

The cable position controls the hydraulic pressure on the clutches during a gear change. The sensor helps the ECU decide when to change gear.

While you’re at it, check the kick down cable is free to move. It runs from a quadrant on the throttle linkage down towards the transmission. It probably isn’t your problem, but it’s worth checking anyway. Give it a gentle pull and let go. It should drop straight back smartly with no delay.
Thanksmuch!

Back