Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1996 1kz-te Prado RX

Delder85

Country Flag
new_zealand
Hi team, just a quick post to welcome myself.

Absolute novice with no idea but am loving the learning and troubleshooting with the help of this forum.

I have a 1996 1kz-te Prado RX which loves to stall when the mechanic/sparky isn't here, and won't stall for them when there are. Anyway, will keep reading and learning from you all.

Cheers

Welcome here Delder ,electrical problems are never easy to diagnose but i'd start with pulling every connection in the engine bay and cleaning it .

Cheers Shayne, have ready many a thread in here with your knowledge and advice. A sparky gave all contacts a good clean and it ran perfect for 6 months, so that was my first port of call. Getting to the accelerator sensor seems to be tricky one to get to, and potentially a really dirty one. All else fails, I am thinking about by-passing the SPV relay as the next hail mary.

Thanks again for the welcome.

Is it an auto ?

I'm lost with electrics but i seem to remember Beau mentioning a sensor or some such on the gearbox ?

Nah is manual. I have had it running for 30min yesterday and today (with quick 2km trips to get the revs and speed up etc) and it ran smoothly. Not convinced the gremlins are gone!

Spill control valve have been known to fail around 150k miles

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yeah, I am wanting to troubleshoot and rule out everything that's quicker/cheaper/easier fix than the spill control valve or injection pump. The Denso shop here want $3k for a reconditioned pump (installed), or $600 for the SPV on it's own (they said they wouldn't replace just the SPV for me).

I did find one of the wires on the SPV was stripped/exposed... so have taped that up, just in case there was some small shorting or something happening with engine vibration.

These pumps don't fail , Beau did a vid of what they call reconditioned , which is to say how to clean it and going from memory i think he cut a 32mm spanner short to remove the spill valve without removing the pump .

Not something i've had to do but plenty here have .

Quick update.

So it does look like the Spill Control Valve is shot. The more times the engine runs the quicker it will stall out, until it doesn't fire at all. Sparky noticed that the SCV had crazy high ohms (1400!!) when hot and not starting. The longer the engine sat and cooled the ohms dropped, which probably explains why it would restart after sitting for few hours. Sparky thinks it is the electronics of the SCV, not the filters / mechanics, so thinking full replacement is best best.

Will hunt around locally for the part before looking overseas and out swapping the SCV out as per the videos above. Thanks for the share @Shayne! and @Beau for the videos!

Will post again when there is an update.

Last edited:
Beau takes credit he made the vids and like i said i have never removed my SCV but as far as i can tell theres only one big nut to undo and the difficult part is getting a spanner on it .

If your paying "experts" to do it they might make a big deal about setting it up so remove this cap . Underneath you will find a locknut to remove and then another maybe 6mm you can adjust . If you turn it anticlockwise all the way down , the safest way to start i reckon , your truck will run while lacking power .
Turn it up a tiny little bit maybe a quarter turn and go for a test run , then turn it up a little more until your satisfied its running well without smokey exhaust and thats it .

Turn it up too much and you can end up with a runaway engine so go gently at it .

1643837420515.png

Hi all, got the new spill control valve, stoked that is was 1.6ohms out of the box! Tried for a week to get someone around to do it for me, and not wanting to cut my 32mm spanner. Had and idea and ended up being able to get the old one out with a tiny set of vice grips.

Fired up straightaway, running smoothly on a 5km run and haven't tuned it at all. Fingers crossed this is the solution, if not, at least now I know my SCV is in spec for resistance!!

Cheers for the help team!

Hope it saved you some cash as well , we are all novices to begin with :handgestures-thumb:

Back