Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1fzfe extreme drinking problem

nathan.bird.319

Hi there. I have an 80 series with a 1fzfe 4.5lt petrol engine (naturally aspirated and not on gas). It has done over 300,000 km but has had little to no issues. Always serviced, reliable and well looked after. It developed a drinking issue one day going from 16lt/100km at worst to nearly 30lt/100 km.
Since then the things I have done to try and fix are-
- replace spark plugs
- full service including replacing oil fuel and air filter
- I have used the paper clip to check engine codes. The oxygen sensor code came up so I replaced the O2 sensor (in exhaust under drivers door)
Code disappeared but fuel issue didn't.
- also found that the exhaust was pinched over the rear diff so I cut and replaced the damaged piece.

It runs mega rich also.

I have run out of options. The only other thing I can think of is the mass air flow sensor. No codes suggest an issue but I can't find any good material on testing the 7pin type(only five pin)

Any info on the MAF testing or rediculous fuel usage would be great.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MAF, coolant temp sensor, fuel pressure regulator, blocked exhaust, whatever caused the pinch may have collapsed the insides of a silencer, only seen it once though, thermostat stuck open?

Nothing else comes to mind at the moment.

regards

Dave

Ignition car parts have been really good with me by testing MAF sensors before on my Mitsi Space Star.

Sounds like it's burning the fuel rather than losing it through any leaks as you say it's running rich.

Have you had or given a jump start just prior to this problem?

Reasoning behind this is that can cause a spike if you are unlucky which can cause odd things with the ECU. Had it with a Smart where it ran perfectly but the ECU thought it had a misfire. Turned out to be corrupted software as had the ECU cloned and the problem remained.

Best of luck with it.

Richard

Back