Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1HDT Aftermarket Thermometer Port Location

Toadshade

Country Flag
united_states
Long story short, I am having some cooling issues I am trying to diagnose, but regardless, I am now paranoid and I would like to install an aftermarket temperature sensor. I really need my truck as a camper for the next three nights and I am in a rush to install it right away. Being in the USA, there is limited info on my HDJ80. Doing a search always and quickly ends up with information on the F80. I have not been able to find a radiator hose port that I can buy locally off the shelf, so if anyone can help me with the actual place on the engine block that would be best to install the sensor I would really appreciate it. I plan on deleting the ACSD/idle adjust on the fuel pump so I would be removing the coolant line there anyway. I just don't know enough about that system to know if that is an option as a location point. I have searched the forum but I am not seeing any discussions on this with the 1HDT at least.

Have you had a browse on the i8mud forum yet? Plenty of info on there too.
If there is space put the sensor near to where the factory one is.

The sensor needs to go directly in to the water. Temperature rapidly drops off. EG The temperature of the outside of the block will be lower than the water beneath it. Possibly remove the Toyota one and use the port there to get in to the water.

Right. That's what I was thinking of doing but I would rather put it in an unused port if one exists. Which I think there are a few but I am just not sure if they will work. I would rather keep the factory sensor in place, but I know that would be the best place for it. Does anyone have enough experience with the ACSD delete that would say that could be a good place for a sensor? But I will ultimately end up going with the joint pipe adapter above since it is just so easy.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Water temperature in the top hose is a lot lower than that in the block. That is why they put the sensor in the block.

Thought that was the pump housing at first. True the temp will not be as accurate but at least it will give me a difference in temperature once I know what normal is there. That is the key anyway. The part on my truck this would replace doesn’t even have a single output. At least it would be quick, easy and OEM as well. I like it.

Last edited:
Back