Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1hdt (wont go past 140kph)

I would Check the throttle cable. ive had six 80s and they all had some adjustment needed as the cable had stretched over time.

do check the other things as well.

haha my 24v 1hd-ft just arrived......will bring it to the shop to remove the old engine.....can't wait....

will post how it drive after.... :)

I would Check the throttle cable. ive had six 80s and they all had some adjustment needed as the cable had stretched over time.

do check the other things as well.

I checked my throttle cable today and found that the pedal operates to the full extent of rotation up to the throttle stop.

The stop is adjustable but it's fixed in its present position by a lead sealed wire. This suggests to me that I shouldn't try to adjust it further. (Top left of photo).

image.jpg

There's also no "free play" at the pedal to suggest the need for cable adjustment.

Next job is to check the filter in the tank... :think:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
Check fuel filter. I had this once and it was a cheap, partially collapsed filter.

Check fuel filter. I had this once and it was a cheap, partially collapsed filter.

Thanks, you mean the main filter under the bonnet?

Will do, I also want to check the one in the tank, everyone seems to find theirs clogged up!

Cheers!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Finally got it from the shop.......and wow really....man the 24v got some speed or maybe my old engine is a lemon but really i can tell the difference even the mechanic who installed it says this 24v got some grunt....

Haha satisfied with the 24v

Will post if it can go past 140kph

Driven it @ 100kph and the engine remained so quiet. Just didnt have enough road to go past it.....

So, as I've already had the injectors checked, with a good bill of health and the valve clearances are now OK (still requiring a compression test) I pulled the back seats out today to get to the cover plate in the rear floor.

Removed the carpet, the cover plate and the 8 machine screws holding the fuel pipes, tank sender and filter to the top of the tank. Lifted it all out and lo and behold, the filter was clean and undamaged.

I'm disappointed really because it would have been a cheap and quick fix. I've already had a new air filter fitted so...

Now I'm facing the following remaining list:

Engine fuel filter; and
Pump timing and settings.

The first one is not so difficult, but the second needs someone who really knows what they're doing.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? :think:

The first one is not so difficult, but the second needs someone who really knows what they're doing.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? :think:

I have one but it's not much use to you Clive, it would mean you driving a few miles. Martin, one of Julian V's mechanics retimed my truck after the woodruff key on the injector pump almost sheared and drastically altered the timing.

He must have magic fingers :ugeek: because my 80 has never driven so well since I bought it in 2004.

I'm not exaggerating to say it's like a different beast now, quieter, smoother, sounds better and picks up from a standstill like that Merc racing the R1 . . . . well almost. :dance:

I have one but it's not much use to you Clive, it would mean you driving a few miles. Martin, one of Julian V's mechanics retimed my truck after the woodruff key on the injector pump almost sheared and drastically altered the timing.

He must have magic fingers :ugeek: because my 80 has never driven so well since I bought it in 2004.

I'm not exaggerating to say it's like a different beast now, quieter, smoother, sounds better and picks up from a standstill like that Merc racing the R1 . . . . well almost. :dance:

Thanks Chas.

Seems like I need to find a "Martin of Julian's" out here to sort it out. I'm convinced now that it's got to be a pump timing issue.

It doesn't bother me too much TBH, but I hate things not to be working properly.

I don't need the speed, even on the motorway I'm happy at 110kph. I did get it to 130 and held it there for 2 hours, when we came back from the Retizat Mountains trip, but it was flat out!

We'll see who I can find.

Maybe Martin would like an all expenses paid few days in Romania :lol:

Do you still have the egr open Clive if so maybe it could do with a good clean ? maybe a good thrashing at lower speeds and higher revs to clear out the cobwebs might freshen things up a bit i red lined my truck a few times at Lincomb and couldn't help but wince in sympathy for my poor abused engine but on the motorway driving home something was better .

Hi Shayne, well it does get its share of revs from time to time in low off-road, but I'm not such an abusive driver normally.

I wince well before the red line!

I'm also not sure what I've got and what I haven't, TBH. I got lost on cars and engines at the end of the 70's, so all these acronyms leave me a bit cold.

There is a crankcase breather from the cam cover feeding into the air intake, if that's what you mean. I could have that to bits and clean it if you think it might help.

Otherwise, if you could be a bit more specific... Idiots guide to EGR, that's what I need. Remember I don't have a turbo, so it's all quite basic under the bonnet!

:icon-biggrin:

I'm just learning as i go so if i offered directions you would probably get lost before you left home . As most block the exhaust gas recirculation valve i figured it might not occur to anyone to mention it . Seems to me your preference is to keep things as toyota intended and so if you do have the egr valve they are well known to get clogged up . Of course you may not even have one but search for threads on how to block the valve and at least you will know what to look for .

PS i wouldn't have been anywhere near the red line if i had felt i had a choice but when you you know reaching the top is the only option if you want to go home with your truck in one piece it kinda gives you an incentive :lol: i am honestly glad it happened though because it truly did do some good though i openly admit i would struggle to abuse my engine the same way again without the same incentive .

Last edited:
I know what you mean. I've been bogged a few times on my own on the mountain. And that can be quite scary. It's had a thrashing then, on a couple of occasions, to get me free.

That was mostly when my front locker wasn't working. Now it is, I haven't been stuck yet! Touch wood!

I've got the winch, but up there there's not much to winch from. I have a ground anchor just in case.

Cheers Shayne. :icon-biggrin:

Well the journey home confirmed that I haven't solved the problem, 130 - 135 kph max, but for sure it gets there more easily than it used to.

Time to look for "my Martin" Chas :lol:

Martin (at J V's) recently checked & subsequently adjusted my pump timing, which was apparently only a little out.
It has made a noticeable difference.:icon-biggrin:

Andy

:icon-cry:

Boo hoo!

I want "a noticeable difference" too :icon-cry: :lol::lol:

Andy[/QUOTE]

finally, made it at 160kph.....wooohooooo.....still think it can go up to 180kph, its just the speed limit is 100kph on the highway and got scared of being caught..

not a member of this club anymore.....

finally, made it at 160kph.....wooohooooo.....still think it can go up to 180kph, its just the speed limit is 100kph on the highway and got scared of being caught..

not a member of this club anymore.....

Glad you managed to push your huge old 4x4 to 160kph, although wouldn't you be better off buying a smaller sports car if you want to drive faster.:confusion-shrug:.

After your enormous contribution to "this club" you will be sorely missed... Do come back soon.:icon-wink:

Back