Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1HZ running bad

Dan246wnb

Country Flag
australia
Hey guys, just putting this out there to see if anyone knows what it is or can confirm what I already suspect with my 1HZ.

I have a HZJ105R 2006 model with a stock standard 1HZ. Always serviced by me, never had an issues other than black smoke which seems common in these.

Last week I did a trip from Darwin to Ayers rock and back. Set off the first day and about 200km in noticed the car seemed to be missing occassionally, figured I just got some dirty fuel and pushed through. It stayed the same most of the day but once I got to around 1200km into the trip it was happening fairly consistently though I still had power and could sit on 120km/h easy.

Fast forward to 2 days later on the trip back and it was missing consistently by the time I hit Three-ways, about 900km from home, and by 1 hour later it would only sit at 110km /h flat to the floor.
As the day went on it got worse and by the time we got home 80km/h was tops. I gave the engine a rev at home and a puff of blue smoke came out when the miss happened, pretty sure its unburnt diesel. It seems to start missing whenever I go above 2000rpm.

Has anyone had a similiar issue or know of it? I'm thinking I've lost compression in one cylinder at least and I'm getting it tested tomorrow to see if that is my problem.

Thanks in advance!

After all the usual fuel filter checks, tank end and the one under the hood, I'd go for a compression test of each cylinder.

It sounds too much like a burned or sticking valve to me.

Next would be the fuel pump and timing.

Didn't even think of a burnt valve. I'll let you know how I go tomorrow.

I guess you've checked for air starvation.....blocked air filter?

Didn't even think of a burnt valve. I'll let you know how I go tomorrow.

I really hope it isn't, that's quite a job, so check everything else first.... Compression test is good to indicate if the misfire was always on the same cylinder...

Back