Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1KZ-TE Idle (tickover) adjustment ?

Shayne

Guru
I alter mine by adjusting the throttle cable but i am wondering if there is another way to do it ?

Can i adjust idle fueling somehow ? or is there a sensor that tells the ecu to adjust fuel for idle that may have failed ?

Last edited:
The throttle cable is the only good way of adjusting it, as far as I'm aware. Adjusting the spill control valve will up the idle slightly as it's fueling more across the RPM range including idle. Where you idling at RPM wise?

Ticks away at 750 Beau , i'm still trying to work out whats causing vibration and its occurred to me because a system flush which should leave me with clean injectors has made the vibration worse then maybe it is a very minor timing problem . The damn truck sounds and goes so good it doesn't make sense . A bit of reading revealed the 1kz in different guises had a throttle position sensor (on the Surf) .

My timing belt has done about 25k and if iirc it should be good for 40k ? the belt tensioner i suppose could be seizing but i feel if it actually is a timing issue it needs adjusting by only a mm or 2 .

I believe we have a crank position sensor which i imagine must be somewhere on the sump ? maybe replacing that will make the ecu behave ?

Last edited:
Tell a lie it ticks over at 850 , i have just turned the fuel up to smoke and no difference in vibration but she balances out a smidgen over 1000 revs .

hmm strange that the flush has made the vibration worse, you'd think it would have been the opposite... Timing belt is good for 70k miles I believe. Have you checked to make sure timing for where it should be. I imagine if it was off by a tooth you'd probably be able to notice it.

My tick over is pretty much the same at 850, if not a tad lower.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I haven't assuming a full tooth out would cause more than just a bit of vibration on idle guess i should take a look if i get time though i think i will be in Romania before i do .

This is sounding so familiar Shayne…you don't suppose your truck caught this off mine do you? [emoji6]

I actually think mine is worse since the injectors were serviced. And mine has no sensors. I'm pretty sure if the timing belt were out a tooth then valves would be damaged. In any case, it's unlikely to jump a tooth but I suppose it's worth checking just to eliminate it.

Ah have you been through this possibility Starcruiser , perhaps i should read your thread from start to finish :oops: would have saved me racking my brains thinking how could clean injectors make it worse . Seems a very long shot but maybe we were both unfortunate enough to get an inferior quality belt :think: Toyota fitted mine when i put the truck in for their 160 point used car inspection not long after i bought it .

I think winning the lottery twice is more likely than an inferior quality timing belt from Toyota Shayne. I checked mine was still tensioned correctly first off and it was fine. Dave 2000 has got me thinking on this balancer though and I'm going to give it a thorough going over seeing as I have two pulleys bolted together it is possible the rear one could be dodgy so I'll give it some stick and see what happens. My vibration is so even it's as if it is across all cylinders rather than a limp from one being out if that makes sense. I might try slowing the engine down to see if a limp becomes more apparent but I've got plenty to check when I get time.

Last edited:
Nobody else could feel mine until i turned the fuel right down . My balancer looks like 2 pulleys but its 1 piece made up of 3 parts the shaft wheel the balancer and the pulleys all sleeved into one , you only need to mark the front face of the pulley it slips like a tyre might on a wheel if that makes sense .

Mine is a twin pulley with a single pulley of a larger size bolted to the front of it.

You could test the tps, it don't take long and is fairly simple to do.

Where is it ? i searched the web for hours and gave up assuming the 90 series 1kz-te doesn't have one !

Between the egr valve and throttle body

Hi Shayne

Did you ever get a resolution to this problem. Mine has started doing the same thing. Real lumpy idle with occasional stall. Started using the premium diesel which has stopped the stalling but still got a rough/lumpy idle. Any ideas where to start looking anyone?
Cheers

Hi gmchas sorry for the late reply i've been away for a while .

It's late so i'm not going to reread the thread but i think my original question related to an annoying vibration which i felt might be fuel related .

For me the problem was cured when i worked out the custom fit top mount intercooler on my truck was touching the heater valve on the bulk head , only when the bonnet was shut which is what made it so hard to find . That said while repairing this problem i removed the intercooler and pipework so perhaps i also had a leak in the intake which was repaired without conscious thought when i put it all back together ?

Your problem could be a similar leak or or a pin hole in fuel lines allowing the pump to suck air in , or if your egr is still active it may be worth removing the turbo to throttle body intake pipe which might be clogged up with carbon crap .

Hi Shayne

That all sounds like its worth a try. Ill give it a go and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Graham

Back